Splunk Search

How to prevent users from querying all indexes with wildcard

sansay
Contributor

Last week, we had someone run a query in which he had "index=*" over 1 week.
This triggered a surge of memory usage to 100% in half of our indexers which ended in their complete failure.
I would like to know if anybody has any idea how to block any such query from running.
I searched all over the place without finding anything. I know that you can specify the indexes which can be seen by roles, but, that's not what I want. The documentation lists "wildcards" as what can also be filtered, but there is no example. Anyway I suspect that it would filter all the searches with wildcards, which is not what I am looking for.
Another little precision: the "Restrict search terms" field which you can add to roles will not do, since it only adds an admin filter to the user's query. It will not filter search query terms containing wildcards.

1 Solution

sansay
Contributor

After 1.5 years, still no answer!
Seeing this and the interest in this issue I decided that I should share the next best solution, which I came up a short while after posting this question. It's an alert which will trigger whenever anyone without admin role runs a query which contains index=* over a period greater than 24 hours. Knowing this allows you to inform users of their mistake and ask them to not run such queries. This alert query is smart enough to see the excessive time in most cases. Since the answer is sometimes to difficult to figure out, the results will show a qualifier True, False, or Unknown for each case, thus leaving you to verify and decide whether you need to intervene or not.

Here is my INDEX_EQUAL_ASTERISK query:

index=_internal host=Your.Search.Head.Names search earliest NOT user=- NOT [search earliest=-65m latest=-15m index=_internal host=Your.Search.Head.Names search earliest NOT user=- | dedup sid | fields sid] NOT [|rest /services/authentication/users splunk_server=local | rename title as user | regex roles="admin*"  | fields user] | regex "index%3D\*%" | regex _raw!="earliest(%3D-5m%)|(%3D-15m%)|(=-5m)|(=-15m)" | rex "(earliest%3D(?<EarliestDate>([0-9]{2}%2F){2}[0-9]{4}(%3A[0-9]{1,2}+){3}))|(earliest(=|%3D)(?<Earliest>(-(?>[0-9]+)[^hms+])|(-(?>[2-9][5-9])h)|(-(?>[3-9][0-9])h)|(-(?>[0-9]{3,})h)|([0-9]+)))" |
rex "(latest%3D(?<LatestDate>([0-9]{2}%2F){2}[0-9]{4}(%3A[0-9]{1,2}+){3}))|(latest(=|%3D)(?<Latest>(-(?>[0-9]+)[^hms])|(-(?>[2-9][5-9])h)|(-(?>[3-9][0-9])h)|(-(?>[0-9]{3,})h)|([0-9]+)))" |
rex "sid=(?<SearchID>[0-9]+\.[0-9]+)" |
eval EarliestDate=replace(EarliestDate, "%2F", "/") | eval EarliestDate=replace(EarliestDate, "%3A", ":") | 
eval LatestDate=replace(LatestDate, "%2F", "/") | eval LatestDate=replace(LatestDate, "%3A", ":") | eval "> 1 day"=if( isNull(EarliestDate),if(like(Earliest,"-%") OR (tonumber(Latest)-tonumber(Earliest))>86400, "True", "False"), "Unknown") | eval Earliest=if(isNull(EarliestDate), Earliest, EarliestDate) | eval Latest=if(isNull(LatestDate), Latest, LatestDate) | eval Latest=if(isNull(Latest), "now", Latest) | where len(Earliest) > 2 AND len(Latest) > 2 | stats  count as "Logs Count" by user, SearchID, Earliest, Latest, "> 1 day"

Here is the scheduled search setup:

alt text

And, finally, here is a sample alert email you will get when an alert is detected:

alt text

View solution in original post

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Not sure whether it's applicable in your case, but we associate each role with a certain index. So, in most cases, each user can access their own index only.

0 Karma

sansay
Contributor

Sorry but no, it's not applicable.
Although we have some roles with limited access, a large percentage of our users need to have access to almost all indexes.

0 Karma

sansay
Contributor

After 1.5 years, still no answer!
Seeing this and the interest in this issue I decided that I should share the next best solution, which I came up a short while after posting this question. It's an alert which will trigger whenever anyone without admin role runs a query which contains index=* over a period greater than 24 hours. Knowing this allows you to inform users of their mistake and ask them to not run such queries. This alert query is smart enough to see the excessive time in most cases. Since the answer is sometimes to difficult to figure out, the results will show a qualifier True, False, or Unknown for each case, thus leaving you to verify and decide whether you need to intervene or not.

Here is my INDEX_EQUAL_ASTERISK query:

index=_internal host=Your.Search.Head.Names search earliest NOT user=- NOT [search earliest=-65m latest=-15m index=_internal host=Your.Search.Head.Names search earliest NOT user=- | dedup sid | fields sid] NOT [|rest /services/authentication/users splunk_server=local | rename title as user | regex roles="admin*"  | fields user] | regex "index%3D\*%" | regex _raw!="earliest(%3D-5m%)|(%3D-15m%)|(=-5m)|(=-15m)" | rex "(earliest%3D(?<EarliestDate>([0-9]{2}%2F){2}[0-9]{4}(%3A[0-9]{1,2}+){3}))|(earliest(=|%3D)(?<Earliest>(-(?>[0-9]+)[^hms+])|(-(?>[2-9][5-9])h)|(-(?>[3-9][0-9])h)|(-(?>[0-9]{3,})h)|([0-9]+)))" |
rex "(latest%3D(?<LatestDate>([0-9]{2}%2F){2}[0-9]{4}(%3A[0-9]{1,2}+){3}))|(latest(=|%3D)(?<Latest>(-(?>[0-9]+)[^hms])|(-(?>[2-9][5-9])h)|(-(?>[3-9][0-9])h)|(-(?>[0-9]{3,})h)|([0-9]+)))" |
rex "sid=(?<SearchID>[0-9]+\.[0-9]+)" |
eval EarliestDate=replace(EarliestDate, "%2F", "/") | eval EarliestDate=replace(EarliestDate, "%3A", ":") | 
eval LatestDate=replace(LatestDate, "%2F", "/") | eval LatestDate=replace(LatestDate, "%3A", ":") | eval "> 1 day"=if( isNull(EarliestDate),if(like(Earliest,"-%") OR (tonumber(Latest)-tonumber(Earliest))>86400, "True", "False"), "Unknown") | eval Earliest=if(isNull(EarliestDate), Earliest, EarliestDate) | eval Latest=if(isNull(LatestDate), Latest, LatestDate) | eval Latest=if(isNull(Latest), "now", Latest) | where len(Earliest) > 2 AND len(Latest) > 2 | stats  count as "Logs Count" by user, SearchID, Earliest, Latest, "> 1 day"

Here is the scheduled search setup:

alt text

And, finally, here is a sample alert email you will get when an alert is detected:

alt text

adepp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Responding to this bc we recently received the same question at Community Office Hours. In case anyone else is looking to do this, here's the expert guidance: 

0 Karma

tlagatta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello @sansay! That's an elegant solution and I'm glad you were able to solve your problem. You are spot-on in your response: the key is to find problem users and educate them on best practices.

Have you seen the Search Activity app? This provides a granular view of how users are using Splunk. There are a lot of searches there which you can adapt in a similar way as above.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2632/

0 Karma

sansay
Contributor

Thank you Tom 🙂
No, I didn't know about the Search Activity app. I must admit I don't spend any time looking in the apps to see if there is something I could use. Way too often we deal with the situation having too much to do to spend some time to try improving by using others creative work. Thank you for bringing this app to my attention. I will certainly take a look at it.

0 Karma

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sorry for the terrible answers. Good luck.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...