Splunk Search

How to plot max system load against the actual load?

jackpal
Path Finder

I have the following simple query:

index=os sourcetype=vmstat tag=dcv-na | eval MaxLoad = 28  | timechart  max(loadAvg1mi) as LoadAvg,max(MaxLoad) as MaxLoad by host

This works well enough but when multiple hosts are involved its gets busy due to the fact that eval is a plot for each host. I'd like just one line across the chart showing the max value for all hosts. Similar to how the licensing reports work.

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Then lets create the maxLoad line after your time chart like this

index=os sourcetype=vmstat tag=dcv-na  | timechart max(loadAvg1mi) as LoadAvg by host| eval MaxLoad = 28

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jackpal
Path Finder

Some more details are probably in order. In the 30 day license report there is a dotted line for "Stack Size" I would like the max value plot to stand out more.

0 Karma

jackpal
Path Finder

Thanks. Is there a way to label that line on the chart as MaxLoad. I'd like to point on on the chart that this is the maximum.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Then lets create the maxLoad line after your time chart like this

index=os sourcetype=vmstat tag=dcv-na  | timechart max(loadAvg1mi) as LoadAvg by host| eval MaxLoad = 28
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...