Splunk Search

How to pass CSV values to a search via macro?

adamsmith47
Communicator

We have a foo.csv which will be updated regularly, and we have searches which require some of the data in foo.csv to run properly. I would like to solve this using a macro in the searches, but am having difficulties.

foo.csv

field1,field2,field3
bar11,bar21,bar31
bar12,bar22,bar32
bar13,bar23,bar33

I need "bar11","bar12","bar13" to be inserted to a search, like so:

| pivot fooDM barData
    min(blah) AS min_blah
    filter field1 in ("bar11","bar12","bar13")

So I created a macro which (when run alone in a search) gives a quoted comma separated list, myMacro:

[| inputlookup foo.csv 
| strcat "\"" field1 "\"" field1
| stats values(field1) AS field1 
| eval search=mvjoin(field1, ",")
| fields search]

The above macro I've attempted both "Use eval-based definition" and not, and place it in search like this:

| pivot fooDM barData
    min(blah) AS min_blah
    filter field1 in (`myMacro`)

I would love any help. Thank you!

Labels (3)
0 Karma

adamsmith47
Communicator

I was receiving various parsing errors, depending on changes I was making in attempt to get it to work. Never received results.

I suppose I should try to get the search to work without a macro first..... so, using the lookup to fill data into the "filter" parameter for the pivot. I can do it with dashboard tokens, but, not sure how to do it in SPL alone.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Making it work without the macro first is a good idea.

After that, keep in mind that a non-eval macro is a simple text substitution.  That means the value of the macro has to make syntactic sense when it replaces the macro invocation.

Consider making the scope of the macro a little larger  It may work better as a complete command (perhaps with arguments) than as an argument to another command.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please finish the story.  What results do you get with the last query?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...