Splunk Search

How to parse and extract multiple hosts in one file so I can search based on hostname and per field?

nirt
Path Finder

I have a source file which looks like the following:

<MOBILE hostname="test1">
a = 2
b = 3
c = 4
</MOBILE>
<CENTRAL hostname="test2">
a = 2
b = 3
c = 4
</CENTRAL>
<MOBILE hostname="test3">
a = 2
b = 3
c = 4
</MOBILE>

What would be the best way to extract the data based on this file so I can search based on hostname and per field?

0 Karma

gcato
Contributor

Hi nirt,

Using the example data provided you can set up your props.conf and transforms.conf in your apps local directory. For example:

props.conf
[my_sourcetype]
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT
LINE_BREAKER = ([\n\r]+)\s*<[MC]+
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
category = Custom
pulldown_type = true
disabled = false
TRANSFORMS-newhost = newhost

This will break the events by lines beginning with <(C|M) and the following will extract the hostname value and index it as host.

transforms.conf
[newhost]
REGEX = ^\s*<(?:MOBILE|CENTRAL)\s+hostname="(\w+)">
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host
FORMAT = host::$1

The abc values will also be auto extracted due to the semantic logging, i.e. field=value.

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Well, that depends. In the example you provide the data is not well-formed XML. It has some xml tags but not the a=2, b=3 etc are not valid xml. If all the data is valid xml, in your props.conf, you should be able to use KV_MODE = xml to extract xml data.

You could also use the xpath command in search to extract fields at search time and search based on hostname. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/SearchReference/xpath

For example something like this might work

...| xpath outfield=hostname "//*/@hostname"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...