Splunk Search

How to overlay an average as a line over a timeseries

Splunkster45
Communicator

I've looked around for an answer. Indeed, I modeled my answer after the following question:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/225230/how-to-display-the-average-of-the-week-as-a-straig.html?ut...

I didn't get it to work, so I will ask my questions.

I have a search that gives me a timeseries of an event and a search that gives me an average. I can use an appendcols item to join the two, however, when I look at the graph, the timeseries shows up, but the average is a single dot for one timestamped value. I'd like the average to be a line across the chart.

Here's the command I'm running:

<query> | stats SUM(COUNT_ONE) by StartTime, ODATE, MODEL | sort by ODATE, StartTime | appendcols [ search <query> | stats AVG(COUNT_ONE) as new by MODEL]

alt text

As you can see, the last column only has one value for the average. If I can repeat this value on each row, I'll get what I want in my graph.

Thoughts?

1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

You don't need the appendcols. Try this

<query> | stats SUM(COUNT_ONE) by StartTime, ODATE, MODEL | eventstats AVG(COUNT_ONE) as new by MODEL | sort by ODATE, StartTime 

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

You don't need the appendcols. Try this

<query> | stats SUM(COUNT_ONE) by StartTime, ODATE, MODEL | eventstats AVG(COUNT_ONE) as new by MODEL | sort by ODATE, StartTime 

Splunkster45
Communicator

By putting the eventstats option first and the stats optino second, I was able to get it.

<query>| eventstats AVG(COUNT_ONE) as new by MODEL | stats SUM(COUNT_ONE), avg(new) by StartTime, ODATE, MODEL
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...