Splunk Search

How to make a time chart with a list of time values I extracted with rex?

sankarms
Explorer

I have timestamps in my logs like this:

[23/Oct/2016:23:56:00 --0700]

I extracted them from my log files with this search:

source=* * | rex field=_raw "(?ism)\[(?<time>\d+\/\w+\/.+)\]"

Now I want to make a timechart that shows the time on the x-axis and the number of occurrences in that time on the y-axis. I tried doing:

| timechart span=1h count by time

But that didn't give me what I wanted. In plain English, I want it to read like "you got a 100 requests from 9am-10am, 50 requests from 10am-11am, etc etc".

Bonus: I would like to offer more granularity based on what the user wants. Like they should be able to see that they got a 100 requests from 9am-10am, but then see specifically at what times between that hour the 100 requests came in.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Flynt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try converting your extracted timefield to epoch using strptime (appropriate for your time value, below is just an example) and cast that to _time directly to do your timechart

|eval test=strptime(time,"%d/%b/%Y:%H:%M")|eval _time=test|timechart span=1h count 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Flynt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try converting your extracted timefield to epoch using strptime (appropriate for your time value, below is just an example) and cast that to _time directly to do your timechart

|eval test=strptime(time,"%d/%b/%Y:%H:%M")|eval _time=test|timechart span=1h count 
0 Karma

sankarms
Explorer

What does _time=test mean?

0 Karma

Flynt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This means set _time to the value of test which is an epoch value we created from the strptime statement.

Test is just an arbitrary field name I gave it. _time is Splunk internal timefield that is used when doing timechart.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...