Splunk Search

How to limit the number of characters in a field in a result?

Rajaion
Path Finder

Hello community,

I have a problem with my research. My searches are then sent to Splunk OnCall to manage alerts.
However, I noticed that some fields in my request can sometimes have a lot of characters, and in this case, the information does not go to Splunk OnCall.

The large number of characters is not useful and I would like to limit the number so that it does not block towards Splunk OnCall. I therefore seek to limit the number of characters in a field of my request, whatever the result. I came across this post (https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Limit-length-of-field-of-characters-in-search-results/...) but the command does not work.

Here is an example request:

index=my_index state=* | fields hostname service_description output state

It is the "output" field that I would like to limit. Based on the link above, I wrote:

index=my_index state=* | fields hostname service_description output state | eval output=substr(output,1,15)

But that doesn't fix it.
Do you have any idea where I should dig for this?

FYI, I'm on Enterprise 8.2.3

Thank you in advance

Rajaion

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @Rajaion,

did you tried to invert the command order?

I tried the following search and it's running

index=_internal 
| eval event_message=substr(event_message,1,15) 
| table event_message

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Rajaion
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello,

Indeed, I was not very precise. What I meant was that despite adding the fix, I still have more than 15 characters in my "output" field.

I haven't tested the use of a table (but I don't see what it represents either) because as it stands, with the exception of the "output" field which is sometimes too long, what I have is enough to send the info to Splunk OnCall.

Best regards,

Rajaion

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @Rajaion,

did you tried to invert the command order?

I tried the following search and it's running

index=_internal 
| table event_message

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Rajaion
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello,

Indeed, by putting the provision that you indicate to me, I have a result which corresponds to the cutting.
Thank you for your help. I still have to check that this is not a problem for sending to Splunk OnCall now.
I'll keep you posted on progress.

Best regards,

Rajaion

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Rajaion

ok, good for you, tell me if I can help you more, otherwise, please, accept my answer for the other people of Community.

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

Rajaion
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

I come back with news.
After a night of letting the query run, I confirm that we have the expected cut in the "table" display:

Rajaion_2-1646816138741.png

I cut to 15, it's not usable but it was to see how it works.

The less good news is that when sending to Splunk OnCall, the cut is not supported and I still have my potentially too long output:

Rajaion_1-1646816104232.png

I feel like Splunk OnCall doesn't handle the "table" part and therefore doesn't support clipping.

Do you know another way to cut the size of a field without using "table"?

The problem can also come from the way I configured my alert sending (configured when the "table" part did not exist). Maybe there is something more to add? I provide a screen of my configuration:

Rajaion_0-1646816476521.png

Best regards,

Rajaion

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Rajaion,

did yu tried to use both table and fields?

something like this?

index=_internal 
| table event_message
| fields event_message

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Rajaion
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

I tried this way but the result is the same.

Best regards,

Rajaion

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Rajaion,

what doi you mean with "But that doesn't fix it" what's the result, have you more than 15 chars?

Did you tried to use table instead fields?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...