Splunk Search

How to join search based on multiple values?

KMoryson
Explorer

Hi, I am trying to build a correlation that matches traffic to threat intel to figure out if it has been blocked or not. It looks like this:

Threat intel -> provides only information that given IP is malicious and recommends blocking. Thats it.
Traffic logs -> provides info on traffic that actually happened, both incoming and outgoing.

Lets say that threat intel tells me that ip 1.2.3.4 is malicious.

I do the following search:
 `index=all_traffic sourcetype=traffic "1.2.3.4"`

It shows me the IP in half/half src and dest fields, and other one is my own ip, as well as if this traffic has been dropped or not in a field called action

I need to automate this process to show me traffic containing suspicious ip.
I tried to join the following way:

`[...getting data from threat intel...]
| table suspicious_ip

| join suspicious_ip [ search index=all_traffic sourcetype=traffic  | rename src as suspicious_traffic ]`

This works only sometimes and for half of the cases, as it only looks as src and not dest. And it gets truncated because of subsearch limit.

I also tried to connect them via parenthesis like this:

`( from datamodel:"Threat_Intel"."Threat_Activity" ) AND (index=all_traffic sourcetype=traffic )

| stats values(*) as * by src, dest`

But this didn't work because I cannot use from datamodel this way.

My ideal output would be:

suspicious_ip src dest action

Any ideas?

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

maciep
Champion

I think I would use a subsearch here.  If you're unfamiliar, it allows you to search the threat index and then use that data to limit a search against your traffic index.

Something like this I think might work (untested, fat-fingers likely abound)

index=traffic [
  search index=threat
  | stats count by sus_ip
  | eval sus_ip = "\"" . sus_ip . "\""
  | table sus_ip
  | mvcombine(sus_ip)
  | eval sus_ip = "(" . mvjoin(sus_ip,",") . ")"
  | eval filter = "src_ip IN " . sus_ip . " OR dst_ip IN " . sus_ip
  | return $filter
]
| table src_ip, dst_ip, action

so $filter gets built up in the sub search and is returned the main search.  So the main search becomes something like

index=traffic src_ip IN ("1.2.3.4","2.3.4.5","3.4.5.6") OR dst_ip IN ("1.2.3.4","2.3.4.5","3.4.5.6")
| tables src_ip, dst_ip, action

But you won't know which of src or dst is actually the malicious ip.  that could probably added with a bit more manipulation with an append or something after the fact.

View solution in original post

maciep
Champion

I think I would use a subsearch here.  If you're unfamiliar, it allows you to search the threat index and then use that data to limit a search against your traffic index.

Something like this I think might work (untested, fat-fingers likely abound)

index=traffic [
  search index=threat
  | stats count by sus_ip
  | eval sus_ip = "\"" . sus_ip . "\""
  | table sus_ip
  | mvcombine(sus_ip)
  | eval sus_ip = "(" . mvjoin(sus_ip,",") . ")"
  | eval filter = "src_ip IN " . sus_ip . " OR dst_ip IN " . sus_ip
  | return $filter
]
| table src_ip, dst_ip, action

so $filter gets built up in the sub search and is returned the main search.  So the main search becomes something like

index=traffic src_ip IN ("1.2.3.4","2.3.4.5","3.4.5.6") OR dst_ip IN ("1.2.3.4","2.3.4.5","3.4.5.6")
| tables src_ip, dst_ip, action

But you won't know which of src or dst is actually the malicious ip.  that could probably added with a bit more manipulation with an append or something after the fact.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...