Splunk Search

How to join 2 searches based on time range?

Mattjj
Explorer

Hi all,

We have events in a single index for flows into and out of a gateway, I’m trying to link an incoming event with the outgoing:

search 1:

index=vpc | where src=<gateway_out_ip> | table starttime, endtime, src, dest

search 2:

index=vpc | where dest=<gateway_in_ip> AND src=<server_ip> | table starttime, endtime, src, dest

The idea is to join search 1 to search 2 where the starttimes are within 3 seconds of each other, so I can see the dest in search 1 for the <server_ip> In search 2.  I tried using transaction but there aren’t any common data between the two searches.  I only want to include events from search 1 that have a corresponding (within 3 seconds) event in search 2.

Can anyone advise on the best way to do this?

Thanks 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try transaction with startswith, endwith, maxspan.  Something like

index=vpc (src=<gateway_out_ip> OR dest=<gateway_in_ip> AND src=<server_ip>)
| transaction startswith=eval(src="<gateway_out_ip>") endswith=eval(dest="<gateway_in_ip>" AND src="<server_ip>") maxspan=3s
| table starttime, endtime, src, dest

View solution in original post

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try transaction with startswith, endwith, maxspan.  Something like

index=vpc (src=<gateway_out_ip> OR dest=<gateway_in_ip> AND src=<server_ip>)
| transaction startswith=eval(src="<gateway_out_ip>") endswith=eval(dest="<gateway_in_ip>" AND src="<server_ip>") maxspan=3s
| table starttime, endtime, src, dest

0 Karma

Mattjj
Explorer

That works perfectly, thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...