Splunk Search

How to increase the subsearch limit?

Explorer

Hello,

I'm trying to do a subsearch like this one:

index = raw_internet_cartonista programa = ILCL [ search index = raw_internet_cartonista programa = WNHC tipo = E | fields codigoAcesso ] | stats count by info10

But I receive the message:

[subsearch]: Subsearch produced 12632 results, truncating to maxout 10000.

How can I configure my search to expand this limit?

I've consulted the documentation and there are some parameters to set:

[subsearch] maxout = • Maximum number of results to return from a subsearch. • This number cannot be greater than or equal to 10500. • Defaults to
100. maxtime = • Maximum number of seconds to run a subsearch before finalizing • Defaults to 60. ttl = • Time to cache a given subsearch's results. • Defaults to

Are these parameter correct? Where do I have to place these parameters? Which limits are most indicated?

Regards,
Vitor

0 Karma
1 Solution

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Short answer: do not use subsearches for this type of queries

Detailed answer: subsearches are expensive in terms of performance and there's a limit for a reason. Do not increase this. You can normally find much better alternatives. Keep in mind your subsearch above is basically returning "codigoAcesso = value1 OR codigoAcesso = value2 OR .... OR codigoAcesso = value10000".

First of all, what are you trying to achieve? I'm not 100% sure based on the search you are performing.

If you just want both type of events do this:

index = raw_internet_cartonista (programa = ILCL OR (programa = WNHC tipo = E))
| stats count by info10

If you just want to display those matching both types of "programas" then you can try this:

| stats count, dc(programa) as distinct_count by info10
| where distinct_count > 1

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Short answer: do not use subsearches for this type of queries

Detailed answer: subsearches are expensive in terms of performance and there's a limit for a reason. Do not increase this. You can normally find much better alternatives. Keep in mind your subsearch above is basically returning "codigoAcesso = value1 OR codigoAcesso = value2 OR .... OR codigoAcesso = value10000".

First of all, what are you trying to achieve? I'm not 100% sure based on the search you are performing.

If you just want both type of events do this:

| stats count by info10

If you just want to display those matching both types of "programas" then you can try this:

| stats count, dc(programa) as distinct_count by info10
| where distinct_count > 1

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

Explorer

Thank you javiergn.

I've seen across all the Splunk documentation the recomendation to not change the limits. And obviously there's a reason for that.

My problem is to correlate events like:

Event A: {time=10:01:000, program=ABC, logLevel=I, userAgent=iPhone, userID=00001}
Event B: {time=10:02:000, program=DEF, logLevel=E, userAgent=, userID=00001}

Imagine that i want to find who has errors on program=DEF and uses an iPhone, i have to correlate with a subsearch this two events, or there's a better way of doing that? The userAgent information in this example only appears in one single identification event.

index=raw program=ABC AND logLevel=I [search index=raw program=DEF AND logLevel=E | fields userID ] | stats count by userAgent

Thank you for helping me.
Rgs.,

0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this instead:

index=raw (program=ABC AND logLevel=I) OR (program=DEF AND logLevel=E)
| stats values(logLevel) as logLevel, values(program) as program, values(userAgent) as userAgent by userID
| search program = ABC userAgent=iPhone
| table userID

Explorer

It works!! Thank you very much javiergn!!

One last question: If the events are in different indexes? How should i do?

Event A: {index=raw_1, time=10:01:000, program=ABC, logLevel=I, userAgent=iPhone, userID=00001}
Event B: {index=raw_2, time=10:02:000, program=DEF, logLevel=E, userAgent=, userID=00001}

0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi, apologies for the late reply.

If the events are in different indexes you can still apply the same logic:

(index=index1 program=ABC logLevel=I) OR (index=index2 logLevel=E)
0 Karma

Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index = raw_internet_cartonista programa = ILCL [ search index = raw_internet_cartonista programa = WNHC tipo = E | stats values(codigoAcesso) AS codigoAcesso ] | stats count by info10
0 Karma