Splunk Search

How to import a list of IP and port pairs, then compare this against firewall logs to generate statistics?

pwqs

I regularly generate a list of IP addresses and port pairs for which I should see traffic, and I log firewall traffic in Splunk. Is there a way that I can import that list of IP/port pairs and then compare against the firewall logs to generate statistics? I'm particularly interested in low/no results, i.e. IP/port pairs which should be seen, but haven't been. The comparison itself is simple, it's using the externally-generated list that I'm struggling with. I can create a lookup table, but I'm not sure how to compare the logs against that lookup table.

Any thoughts?

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

If you have a iplist_lookup lookup table with a field called ipaddress, you could do something like this

sourcetype="network_logs" | join ipaddress [|inputlookup iplist_lookup] | stats ...

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

If you have a iplist_lookup lookup table with a field called ipaddress, you could do something like this

sourcetype="network_logs" | join ipaddress [|inputlookup iplist_lookup] | stats ...

pwqs

This works almost perfectly, however I can't work out how to display where the count is zero.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Change the order and do a join

|inputlookup iplist_lookup | join type=outer ipaddress  [search sourcetype="network_logs"  | stats count by ipaddress] | fillnull value=0 count 
0 Karma

pwqs

Perfect, thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...