Splunk Search

How to imbed dbxquery in a splunk macro?

bwyn
Observer

I have a significant number of dashboards that use dbxquery to pull data from a significant number of servers running many nosql databases (>20) with standardized collection names(>20). I have database connections defined for each server/database combination: 

I'm currently using a simple dbxquery in search to pull data from these collections:

|dbxquery connection=$server_name$_database_name query ="SELECT * FROM collection_name"
|(numerous transformations)

This works fine. Unfortunately, there's a lot of field transformations, json processing, etc. that needs to happen after the query, and its always the standard 8-10 lines. I'd like to standardize these queries and imbed them in a macro. I'd like to bundle all of this in a macro like this:

`collection_name(server_name)`

The problem is that |dbxquery doesn't appear to like being the first command in a macro. 

Error in 'dbxquery' command: This command must be the first command of a search.
The search job has failed due to an error. You may be able view the job in the Job Inspector.

Any ideas how to implement this macro in a clean way? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @bwyn

let meunderstand: you are using dbxquety in your searches?

dbx query is usually used for test, the best approach to use dbxqueries ir to extract data from one or more databases, store them in Splunk and use there extracted data for searches.

If you use dbxquery in searches you have very low performances.

In addition if you store data extracted with dbxquery in an index or ia lookup, you can use them in each search, extractig fields and eventually grouping data before last search execution.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should be able to make it work by putting the leading pipe in the macro definition.  I've seen that done before.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...