Splunk Search

How to hide an entire field value?

fatanyk
Explorer

Hello,

I've an index where all my data is stored and I want to create 2 savedsearch : 

- one with all the data (i have to create this one because there are others sourcetype that i don't want the user to access).

- one with less data

I have an issue when i create my savedsearch with 

|table myfield1,myfield2

i can see myfield3 in the events tab from the search result.

In fact, i want to see myfield3 from events tab only with my savedsearch with all the data but not in the other one.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ITWhisperer,

data access is controlled at index level, but you cannot give access to a user to a part of the index.

You can create dedicated dashboards that display only some fields, but you have also to block the access to the raw data (Open in search feature).

A good approach could be the one hinted by  @ITWhisperer of creating a new Summary index with only a part of information for these users.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ITWhisperer,

data access is controlled at index level, but you cannot give access to a user to a part of the index.

You can create dedicated dashboards that display only some fields, but you have also to block the access to the raw data (Open in search feature).

A good approach could be the one hinted by  @ITWhisperer of creating a new Summary index with only a part of information for these users.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

fatanyk
Explorer

I'll try to check that.

Thx

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @fatanyk,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The events tab shows the events from the initial search, before any transformation such as removing a field from the output of the search.

Instead, you could use a summary index to store the depleted events.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...