Splunk Search

How to hide an app, but share access to its kvstore lookups for users?

lassel
Communicator

I have an app that only powerusers should be able to access.
In that app, I maintain some kvlookups that regular users should be able to use for lookups.

This is from my transforms.conf:

[]
access = read : [ * ], write : [ power, admin ]

[transforms/index_lookup]
access = read : [ * ], write : [ admin, power ]
export = system

My problem is that if I lock down the [] block so read:[power], the regular users can no longer see the lookup table.

How can I hide the app and expose the lookup table?

0 Karma
1 Solution

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's tedious, but you need to define this for each knowledge object in your app context. Remembering that the [] is the default for all objects.

For your use case, it might be better to separate the KVStore lookup into its own app space with read for all, and your remaining app, keep your permissions for [] restricted to power.

View solution in original post

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's tedious, but you need to define this for each knowledge object in your app context. Remembering that the [] is the default for all objects.

For your use case, it might be better to separate the KVStore lookup into its own app space with read for all, and your remaining app, keep your permissions for [] restricted to power.

lassel
Communicator

I am not sure what an app space is? Is it just a new app?
I make a separate app for the lookups, I'll just get another app that I cannot hide.

0 Karma

lassel
Communicator

In the end I merged my two apps into one that all users can access. Then I locked down the views that only power-users can see.

default.meta:

[views/secretdashboard]
access = read : [ power ], write : [ power ]
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...