Splunk Search

How to have field populate once

Mary666
Communicator

Hello Splunk Community, 

I have encountered a easy, yet tricky situation. I was told chart command works just like stats, so far I have all the data I need. However, the issue I have is with one field. I need to populate the setting field for the data. I get the setting field to populate, but it shows up 3 different times for each drive - I only need it to show one time. 

index="123" sourcekind="Disk Space" count="% Space" dev_team=XYZ  drive="C:" OR drive="E:" OR drive="F:"  | chart values(setting) as setting  sparkline(avg(NET),15m) as NET_value,  latest(NET) as Free over server by drive

Data I receive:

serversetting:C:setting:E:setting:FFree:C:Free:E:Free:F:Net_Value:C:Net_Value:E:Net_Value:F:
123456TestingTestingTesing23.0024.0034.00\\\

Desired results:

serversettingFree:C:Free:EFree:FNet_Value:C:NetValue:E:Net_Value:F
123456Testing23:0024:0034.00\\\

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

Since the field names are dynamic, try this method

index="123" sourcekind="Disk Space" count="% Space" dev_team=XYZ  drive="C:" OR drive="E:" OR drive="F:"  | chart values(setting) as setting  sparkline(avg(NET),15m) as NET_value,  latest(NET) as Free over server by drive
|eval settings=null()
|foreach settings:* [eval settings=if(isnull(settings),'<<FIELD>>',settings)]|fields - settings:*

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Since the field names are dynamic, try this method

|eval settings=null()
|foreach settings:* [eval settings=if(isnull(settings),'<<FIELD>>',settings)]|fields - settings:*

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

Mary666
Communicator

@renjith_nair  Thanks so much for your help. I would like to know though why you used is null for the eval function and if there is an other way of doing the for each without the null?

Please advise. 

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

sure. I just initialized the value with null and you can use any value there. It's just for checking that we are storing the value only once i.e when it's empty since all other values are same.

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...