Splunk Search

How to have an Alert Generate A Secondary Event with Different Field Names?

tr_newman
Explorer

We currently have an alert set up that generates a ticket in our ticketing platform. We are currently moving to a new ticketing platform and have utilized collect to collect the event and put it in a new index for that ticketing platform to pull data from.

Is there a way to rename fields of the event that is collected, but not change the field names for the current alert? We have to have different field names for the new ticketing system to map correctly. My only idea right now is either duplicate the alert and have them run in parallel, or when the ticketing system queries splunk for new events, to have that query contain a search macro that does the renaming before the events are ingested,

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could put your collect in an appendpipe in your alert search, something like this

<your search>
| appendpipe
  [| rename x as y
   | table y
   | collect index=other
   | where false()]
| fields - y

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could put your collect in an appendpipe in your alert search, something like this

<your search>
| appendpipe
  [| rename x as y
   | table y
   | collect index=other
   | where false()]
| fields - y

0 Karma

tr_newman
Explorer

So to make sure I understand what's happening, we are modifying information in a separate summary, then using table to reveal that information, collecting that info. Once we break out of the appendpip, we then display the original fields.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the where false() for?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Almost - the table is to restrict the fields to just those you want in the summary index. The where false() is to remove the events that you have added to the summary index, otherwise you will effectively double the events you have returned by the search. The first half being the original events, and the second half being the events with the renamed fields.

Consider this

<your search>
| appendpipe
  []

This duplicates all your events!

0 Karma

tr_newman
Explorer

You're awesome. But now I have a conundrum. The analysts do not like the fact that we added the collection at the end of the alert because now when they go to the splunk link they have accidentally kicked off more tickets because they didn't remove the collection before making modifications to the search to investigate an alert. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can collect, and rename fields, while also not impacting their search 😕 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @tr_newman,

why don't you use two different alerts, one for each system with its own field names?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

dmacintosh_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What ticketing system are you using? Are you trying to avoid modifying the saved search for the alert?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...