Splunk Search

How to group search results?

Petri-X
Explorer

Hi all,

I searching web server's centralized logs and getting results from multiple servers. But those servers belongs to different deployments. For example:

- srv1, srv7, srv9, ... belongs to deployment Fin

- srv15, srv19, srv21, ... belongs to deployment Jpn

- srv100, srv 102, srv110, ... belongs to deployment Bra

On the results I can see the hosts, but I'm looking possibilities to group the servers into own deployments. Is that something I could do during the search by giving an array where servers are listed, or some other way? Or is this something I should do earlier?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @Petri-X,

2 of many options:

1.) Create a Lookup table with 2 columns: host, deployment.
In your SPL you would then add this to add the deployment:

| lookup host_deployment.csv host OUTPUT deployment

2.) You could use case, I guess makes only sense if the list is rather small...

| eval deployment=case(host="srv1", "Fin", host="srv15", "Jpn")

The case option could be even made a bit smarter, if you extract the number of the server, and then work with ranges....but in general I would work with the 1.) option .

BR
Ralph
--
Karma and/or Solution tagging appreciated.

--
Karma and/or Solution tagging appreciated.

Petri-X
Explorer

Ooh !! This was super quick !!

Huge thanks @rnowitzki and @ITWhisperer for your help !

I believe I'll use the case option !

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

And another option is to use tags for those deployments. Just add tag as wanted deployment per server.

r. Ismo

https://www.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAGYJ

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/Knowledge/Abouttagsandaliases

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval deployment=case(in(server,"srv1","srv7","srv9"),"Fin",in(server,"srv15","srv19","srv21"),"Jpn",in(server,"srv100","srv102","srv110"),"Bra")
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...