Splunk Search

How to group and add the count for each value of a field?

emamedov
Explorer

I am currently trying to group together unique products, and have the username listed under each product, however, I want to also add a count and that is where I hit a roadblock. I have looked at multiple posts regarding this topic and can't quite get over the finish line.

Example:

Instead of:
Product A:
User1
User2
User2
User2
User3

Product B:
User 1
User 1
User 2

I would like to have:

Product A:
User 1 - 1
User 2 - 3
User 3 - 1

Product B:
User 1 - 2
User 2 - 1

Below is the search string I'm currently using to generate just the grouped product/users:

eventtype=product-view|stats values(username) by productname

dark_15
Engager

Hello @emamedov,
I ran into a similar problem and found a solution hidden in the splunk archives here. For your use case, try this:

eventtype=product-view 
 | stats count by username, productname
 | stats list(username) as "User Name" list(count) as count by productname
 | rename productname as "Product Name"

Good luck and happy hunting!

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

eventtype=product-view | chart count over username by productname

And then if you want totals, you can do

eventtype=product-view | chart count over username by productname | addtotals | addcoltotals labelfield=fieldA label=Totals
0 Karma

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @emamedov,
Have you tried using "stats count by" with the fields you are trying to aggregate?

For example:
eventtype=product-view|stats count by productname username

As a more general example, if I run a search that includes this :
...| stats count by (fieldA) (fieldB)
then the results would show a count of how many (fieldB) items there are, per (fieldA) item. It seems like a search like this would give you view counts per user for each product.

Here are some examples in the documentation that might help:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.1511/SearchReference/Stats#Use_Case_Examples

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...