Splunk Search

How to get the time difference of two timestamp in minutes?

mikeyty07
Communicator

I 've  two fields one is _time and another one is received_time.  I want to get the time differences between these two timestamp.  

Logs look like 
2023-07-11 11:19:24.964 ..... received_time= 1688574223791

I converted the epoch to human readable but i couldnt get the time differences  between these two timestamp.

my search:

<query> | rex "received_time\"\:(?<recTime>[^\,]+)" | eval recTime = strftime(recTime/1000, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")
| eval diff = recTime - _time 
| table recTime _time  diff

but it doesnt show any data on diff. Am I missing something?

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @mikeyty07,

yes, it's possible, please try this:

<your_search> 
| rex "received_time\"\:(?<recTime>[^\,]+)" 
| eval recTime = strftime(recTime/1000, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")
| eval diff=tostring(diff,"duration")

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you extract your recTime as a string from the raw event you have to either parse it into a numerical timestamp with strptime() or at least (if it's already in epoch) cast it to integer by using tonumber().

EDIT: OK. I just noticed that in your raw data timestamp is already numerical. So you need to do

| eval diff = tonum(recTime)/1000 - _time

Also - when you're manipulating time, it's often more convenient to use fieldformat instead of eval to produce human-readable time strings. But if you insist on rendering timestamp to string with eval, do it after you calculate the diff part.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @mikeyty07 

you can calculate diff before tranforming timestamps from epoch to human readable.

<your_search> 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

mikeyty07
Communicator
_timerecTimediff
2023-07-11 11:12:44.8882023-07-11 11:15:55.9990 00:03:11.111

the diff is coming in numerical can it be done like this table? 

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sure. Since _time is being internally stored as a number of seconds, all arithmetics involving this number will yield number of seconds. There are several functions allowing you to convert it to more human-friendly format.

Of course you could calculate it manually, but you can use - as @gcusello already showed - the convert() function. I would however use fieldformat instead of eval to keep the value internally as a number (which makes it easier to do subsequent manipulations if you need it or sorting).

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @mikeyty07,

yes, it's possible, please try this:

<your_search> 
| eval diff=tostring(diff,"duration")

Ciao.

Giuseppe

mikeyty07
Communicator

this gave me the idea to change time to numeric and from there strftime and do calculate the time diff

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @mikeyty07 ,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...