Splunk Search

How to get the rows changed since last time I executed the query?

shahhe
Explorer

Is there a way I can do a search so that it returns the rows inserted since last time I ran the query?

earliest=last time I ran the search

Thanks.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

If you are speaking about a scheduled search, than the answer is definitely yes: you do that by playing with the frequency of execution and earliest/latest times. E.g. If you automatically run the query every 30 minutes, you might want to have:

... earliest=-31m@m latest=-1m@m

To pick 30 mnutes worth of data, but allowing splunk a 1 minute delay to index data which has just arrived.

If instead you are speaking about manual execution I don't think that is easily feasible.

View solution in original post

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

If you are speaking about a scheduled search, than the answer is definitely yes: you do that by playing with the frequency of execution and earliest/latest times. E.g. If you automatically run the query every 30 minutes, you might want to have:

... earliest=-31m@m latest=-1m@m

To pick 30 mnutes worth of data, but allowing splunk a 1 minute delay to index data which has just arrived.

If instead you are speaking about manual execution I don't think that is easily feasible.

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

I see...then why not use a saved and scheduled search, which fires your python script when it finds new events? The script would receive a csv of the new results and save you a headache 😉

0 Karma

shahhe
Explorer

I have a python script that I want to run when certain event occurs and I want to get data that changed since last time I ran the query.
Right now I am saving the timestamp to the file and use it next time I run the query.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...