Splunk Search

How to get table column headers to display even if no results are found?

bullbo
Engager

I have a search that displays new accounts created over the past 30 days and another that displays accounts deleted over the past 30 days.

I would like to have the column (field) names display even if no results are returned as well as the “No results found” message. Is it possible or am I asking too much?

0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=wineventlog source=wineventlog:security EventCode=4725 OR EventCode=629
| appendpipe [stats count | where count==0 |eval EventCodeDescription="No Results Found"]
| table _time, user, src_user, EventCodeDescription
| rename _time as Date, src_user as "Disabled by", user as "User Account", EventCodeDescription as "Event"
| convert ctime(Date)

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| appendpipe [stats count | where count==0 |eval EventCodeDescription="No Results Found"]
| rename _time as Date, src_user as "Disabled by", user as "User Account", EventCodeDescription as "Event"
| convert ctime(Date)

bullbo
Engager

Perfect, thanks!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Assuming that your existing search ends in something like | table _time foo bat, just insert an appendpipe like like this:

| makeresults
| eval foo="bar", bat="baz"

| where true()=false()

| appendpipe [stats count | where count==0 | foreach _time foo bat [eval <>="No Results Found"]]
| table _time foo bat

bullbo
Engager

Thanks, but doesn't seem to work or I'm doing something wrong (quite possible), here's my query with the appendpipe added. Feel free to let me know what I am probably doing wrong.

| appendpipe [stats count | where count==0 | foreach _time, user, src_user, EventCodeDescription
[eval <>="No Results Found"]]

| convert ctime(Date)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...