Splunk Search

How to get index time in subseconds ?

sunrise
Contributor

Hi Splunkers,

I want to know the index time lag in subsecond order by following command.

index=main | eval index_lag = _indextime - _time | convert  timeformat="%H:%M:%S.%3N" ctime(index_lag)

But the values of "index_lag" are below.

00:00:00.000
00:00:01.000

These results may be wrong in subseconds.
How to get correct figures ?

Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Running your query for my _internal index does give me subseconds.

There's a much greater problem though. Your convert call treats the time difference in index_lag as a unix time epoch timestamp. As a result, a value of 86400 is treated exactly the same as a value of 0 because you're cutting off the day that would roll over. Similarly, negative values would be ignored.
It'd be better to use the duration conversion Splunk offers:

index=main | eval index_lag = _indextime - _time | eval converted_index_lag = tostring(index_lag, "duration")

That will still provide a wonky handling of negative values, but at least you won't see lags over a day being wrapped to within one day.

Both options should show milliseconds though.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Running your query for my _internal index does give me subseconds.

There's a much greater problem though. Your convert call treats the time difference in index_lag as a unix time epoch timestamp. As a result, a value of 86400 is treated exactly the same as a value of 0 because you're cutting off the day that would roll over. Similarly, negative values would be ignored.
It'd be better to use the duration conversion Splunk offers:

index=main | eval index_lag = _indextime - _time | eval converted_index_lag = tostring(index_lag, "duration")

That will still provide a wonky handling of negative values, but at least you won't see lags over a day being wrapped to within one day.

Both options should show milliseconds though.

0 Karma

sunrise
Contributor

Thank you, martin_mueller.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...