Splunk Search

How to get field count rather than stats count?

summitsplunk
Communicator

Here's my query:

index="smt_fortigate" host="10.8.12.1" srcintf=mysummitwifi | stats count by devtype

What I want to do is get something like this :

devtype

iphone 100
windows 105
Android 200

I don't want stats on all of the events. I just want the totals of of all the possibilities for the devtype Field. How would I write this?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index="smt_fortigate" host="10.8.12.1" srcintf=mysummitwifi | stats dc(devtype)
0 Karma

PowerPacked
Builder

Hi

Are you looking for this

index="smt_fortigate" host="10.8.12.1" srcintf=mysummitwifi | stats count(devtype) as count

& if you are looking for distinct count - index="smt_fortigate" host="10.8.12.1" srcintf=mysummitwifi | stats dc(devtype)
but this only gives the unique values & count of devtype field which is not you are looking for i guess.

Thanks

summitsplunk
Communicator

Yeah what you said "index="smt_fortigate" host="10.8.12.1" srcintf=mysummitwifi | stats dc(devtype)
but this only gives the unique values & count of devtype field" is exactly right. So I was asking the question sort of wrong.

ultimately my query ended up looking like this to give me my desired output:
index="smt_fortigate" host="10.8.12.1" srcintf=mysummitwifi | stats dc(src_mac) by devtype

which give me a count of src_mac and groups them by devtype

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

@summitsplunk Can you be more clear, looking at the desired output you have shared your query looks correct , do you have some sample data with output example?

0 Karma

summitsplunk
Communicator

Figured it out. So I just didn't know how to ask the question but with some googling I found the write term which is "Distinct Count"... Basically I wanted to get a distinct count of each field. Like seen in this article:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/46241/how-can-i-retrieve-count-or-distinct-count-of-some-field-va...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...