Splunk Search

How to get certain field from data using rex

MeMilo09
Path Finder

Hey There, 

I have seen the Splunk. com answers and the rex cheat sheets online. However, I cant seem to get rex command to work to extract what I need from the data. I only need the XX_LMP_123456789_123 without the .pdf.  Can someone guide me on how to achieve this? 

just need XX_LMP_123456789_123 

failureMsg="Failure to populate pdf file for XX_LMP_123456789_123.pdf in LOB_1234567_9_4567890_delivery_.pdf"

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tscroggins
Influencer

@MeMilo09 

This should work:

| rex field=failureMsg "for (?<basename>.*?)\\.pdf"

or this:

| rex field=failureMsg "for (?<basename>[^.]+)"

and others, depending on how much variation exists in your source text.

View solution in original post

tscroggins
Influencer

@MeMilo09 

This should work:

| rex field=failureMsg "for (?<basename>.*?)\\.pdf"

or this:

and others, depending on how much variation exists in your source text.

MeMilo09
Path Finder

@tscroggins 

Thanks for your help this works perfectly.  would you mind explaining the rex characters

"for" why use for here ?- this actually works even if the failureMsg does not begin with for, but not sure why. 

?  stands for 0 or 1, but my failureMsg could have letters too and it works fine. Can you explain why it works? 

[^.]+  What is the rest doing - I am having a hard time understanding it 

Your explanation would be very helpful for me. Thanks in advance. 

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@MeMilo09 

"for " forces a match against that exact text. Without it, your match should have included both the text before the base file name and the base file name itself. The source text doesn't need to begin with "for;" that would require additional logic in the regex.

The (?<xxx>...) sequence defines a capture group with name xxx. In Splunk, xxx becomes the extracted field name.

[^.]+ means "match one or more characters that are not a period." The match will stop when it encounters the dot in the file name.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...