Splunk Search

How to get average count of one field by day as a line chart

vmvd
Explorer

I have events that contain a userId field and I would like to make a line chart to visualize the average count per day of that field. How can I do this?

So far I have tried the following and a couple other arrangements but nothing is working.

index=foo | stats count by userId, _time | timechart avg(count)

(I am using Splunk enterprise 6.5.1. btw)

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The timechart command requires the _time field so stats must always be by that field.

I suspect what is happening is each userId event has a unique timestamp so the stats command is producing a count field of only 1.  The fix for that is the bin command.

index=foo 
| bin span=1d _time
| stats count by userId, _time 
| timechart span=1d avg(count) as AvgCount

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Those commands (and those that follow) should work on your antique version of Splunk, but you really should upgrade soon.

"Nothing is working" is not helpful as a problem statement.  Describe the output and how it fails to meet expectations.

The fix could be something simple like adding "by userId" to the timechart command (which worked for me), or something more complex.  It depends on what results you want.

---
0 Karma

vmvd
Explorer

When I plug this query into splunk and go to visualization and select line chart, I get a flat line. Under the visualization it shows _time as a column and avg(count) as a column. Under _time it lists days. Under avg(count) it lists1.0000 for every day.

The visualization shows a flat line, but should be varying because the avg(count) of the userId should not be 1.0000 every day. It varies but tends to be around 6. 

Adding "by userId" to the end of the query creates a column for every userId, and there are thousands. I do not want a line for every userId.

I have tried taking _time out so that by query is "index=foo | stats count by userId | timechart avg(count)" but then I get "No results found". There are events that should be found however. 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The timechart command requires the _time field so stats must always be by that field.

I suspect what is happening is each userId event has a unique timestamp so the stats command is producing a count field of only 1.  The fix for that is the bin command.

index=foo 
| bin span=1d _time
| stats count by userId, _time 
| timechart span=1d avg(count) as AvgCount

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...