Splunk Search

How to get an input source into a specific index?

Mark_Barrett
Explorer

I have a server with Universal Forwarder configured to feed data files into my Splunk indexer, and I was able to create a separate index file which is intended to hold this particular input source. Right now, all the data files are being dumped into the "Main" index but I'm a little lost from this point. What else do I need to do for this specific input source to be diverted to the index that I set up for this purpose?

I found the following documentation http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/WhatSplunkcanmonitor
but from here I'm not sure which direction to go.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Runals
Motivator

I think the solution to your issue is to create an inputs file for your forwarder to divert the data into the appropriate index. That's the short version at least. A simplistic example is

[monitor:///var/foo]
Index = main 

[monitor::///var/bar]
Index = new_index

Alternatively you could put data into different indices through props/transforms and while that isn't hard per se there are a few more steps. Can you give a few more particulars about your environment (eg are you using a deployment server), OS, and data paths involved?

View solution in original post

Runals
Motivator

I think the solution to your issue is to create an inputs file for your forwarder to divert the data into the appropriate index. That's the short version at least. A simplistic example is

[monitor:///var/foo]
Index = main 

[monitor::///var/bar]
Index = new_index

Alternatively you could put data into different indices through props/transforms and while that isn't hard per se there are a few more steps. Can you give a few more particulars about your environment (eg are you using a deployment server), OS, and data paths involved?

ShaneNewman
Motivator

You will need to go to your indexer and add a new index as well, then restart the indexer.

Create or add this to the indexes.conf in your indexer_base app or inside of your $SPLUNK_Home\ect\system\local and replace new_index_name with the name of your index.

[new_index_name]
homePath   = $SPLUNK_DB\new_index_name\db
coldPath   = $SPLUNK_DB\new_index_name\colddb
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB\new_index_name\thaweddb
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...