Splunk Search

How to generate a search that will correlate multiple IP addresses that hit the same URL?

DavidScavotto
Explorer

I am utilizing Cisco Ironport Squid logs. I found a suspicious event that is possible malware related and multiple computers/IP addresses hit. I would like to see if multiple computers hit the same URL to possibly get malware.

What I would like to do is correlate multiple IP addresses (sourcetype=cisco:squid (IP or IP or IP or IP or IP) that have hit the same URL address to assess whether they grabbed a file or visited the same malicious site. I know | top limit = 20 url will get me the most hit URLs from these IP's, but I am only interested in the URLs that are the same across all IP's.

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

gokadroid
Motivator

if URL and ip is already extracted fields on your events try transaction on url:

your base query to return ips and urls events
| transaction url 
| table url, ip

View solution in original post

cmerriman
Super Champion
sourcetype=cisco:squid (IP or IP or IP or IP or IP)|eventstats dc(IP) as totalIPs|stats values(IP) as IPaddresses dc(IP) as dcIP max(totalIPs) as totalIPs by URL|where dcIP=totalIPs

something like this should give you what you're looking for, if I'm not mistaken. the eventstats will distinctly count how many IPs you have total, then the stats command will list out the IP addresses and distinctly count them by each URL. If the number that hit the URL does not match the total, that URL would be filtered out, so you should only see URLs that were hit by every IP.

0 Karma

gokadroid
Motivator

if URL and ip is already extracted fields on your events try transaction on url:

| transaction url 
| table url, ip

DavidScavotto
Explorer

This got me close to the answer I am looking for, but it still separates it out in individual lines with URL's that have not been hit by all 4 IP's. Going through this list though I will see some URL's that do have all 4 IP's and that is exactly what I am looking for. Any idea on how I can get it to show only URL hits that match all IP's put into my search?

gokadroid
Motivator
 | transaction url 
 |fields url , ip
 |eval ipCount=mvcount(ip)
 | table url, ip,ipCount
 | where ipCount >=4

And since you know the all 4 IPs at the start, start with searching on those 4 IPs in you base query

DavidScavotto
Explorer

This did it. My final search for those that are interested:
index=* sourcetype="cisco:squid" (IP OR IP OR IP OR IP)
| transaction url
| fields url, src
| eval IPCount=mvcount(src)
| table url, src, IPCount
| where IPCount = 4

My splunk results had the IP under src which is why my final search slightly deviates from what gokadroid provided. This worked great though and showed me the URL I was interested in serving up malware to all of my IP's. Thank you!

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This will work but you should want to avoid the transaction command whenever possible due to slow performance

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...