Splunk Search

How to format 86401 seconds as 24:00:01

SammyDavis
Explorer

I am trying to display a duration result to a dashboard and when I try to use the function to convert seconds to HH:MM:SS format like this:
index="ourlogs" | eval OurNameDDHHMMSS=tostring(OurVariable, "duration")

Anything over 24 hours (86400 seconds) the result I see is 1+00:00:01. When I do a search and I ask for the top 2 (using head 2) I am getting the 23:00:00 numbers returned instead of anything with the 1+ format. I also think for the people who look at the dashboard it would be easier for them to see it as 24:00:01.

Any suggestions or links would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I was honestly surprised at how hard this was. That usually means I'm doing it wrong, but I did find a way to do it. I too have noticed this behavior, but it affects our data very little so I haven't "fixed" it. That being said, you just gave me incentive.

Try this run-anywhere search. In it you should have all bits and pieces you need.

| gentimes start=10/1/15 end=10/5/15 
| eval test=86401 
| eval secs=test%60 | eval mins=floor((test/60)%60) | eval hrs=floor((test/3600)%60)
| eval f_hrs=if(len(hrs)=1,"0".tostring(hrs), tostring(hrs))
| eval f_mins=if(len(mins)=1,"0".tostring(mins), tostring(mins))
| eval f_secs=if(len(secs)=1,"0".tostring(secs), tostring(secs))
| eval result=f_hrs.":".f_mins.":".f_secs

My naming: test is the value I'm testing (use your own variable there). secs, mins and hrs are the converted hours, minutes and seconds from the test value. f_* are the "formatted" converted values (e.g. adding a leading zero when necessary) and the result is just concatenating those values together.

NOTES: This is nasty. I tried to tame it as best I could, but I'm sure this code would make fun of your grandmother and try to kick your puppy if it was given a chance. I tried convert(), but it seems that "Hours" in Splunk are less than 24, regardless of your desires. That makes total sense for times but not necessarily for durations.

I will be putting in an Enhancement Request for some option to convert durations without that implicit day-conversion. On a good day I can read numbers well into the upper two digits (like even all the way up to 73!), so changing "27" into "1 day plus 3 hours" isn't always helpful.

View solution in original post

KailA
Contributor

Hi,

This is another easiest way to do it :

| eval test=86401
| eval Hour = floor(test/3600)
| eval test = strftime(test,"%M:%S")
| eval result = Hour.":".test

DalJeanis
Legend

@KailA - Really close, but you need to use floor instead of round. Otherwise, half the time you will get the wrong number of hours.

KailA
Contributor

You're right ! My bad 🙂

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I was honestly surprised at how hard this was. That usually means I'm doing it wrong, but I did find a way to do it. I too have noticed this behavior, but it affects our data very little so I haven't "fixed" it. That being said, you just gave me incentive.

Try this run-anywhere search. In it you should have all bits and pieces you need.

| eval test=86401 
| eval secs=test%60 | eval mins=floor((test/60)%60) | eval hrs=floor((test/3600)%60)
| eval f_hrs=if(len(hrs)=1,"0".tostring(hrs), tostring(hrs))
| eval f_mins=if(len(mins)=1,"0".tostring(mins), tostring(mins))
| eval f_secs=if(len(secs)=1,"0".tostring(secs), tostring(secs))
| eval result=f_hrs.":".f_mins.":".f_secs

My naming: test is the value I'm testing (use your own variable there). secs, mins and hrs are the converted hours, minutes and seconds from the test value. f_* are the "formatted" converted values (e.g. adding a leading zero when necessary) and the result is just concatenating those values together.

NOTES: This is nasty. I tried to tame it as best I could, but I'm sure this code would make fun of your grandmother and try to kick your puppy if it was given a chance. I tried convert(), but it seems that "Hours" in Splunk are less than 24, regardless of your desires. That makes total sense for times but not necessarily for durations.

I will be putting in an Enhancement Request for some option to convert durations without that implicit day-conversion. On a good day I can read numbers well into the upper two digits (like even all the way up to 73!), so changing "27" into "1 day plus 3 hours" isn't always helpful.

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Richfez 

printf is a useful eval func here to do the formatting

| eval result=printf("%02d:%02d:%02d", floor(test/3600), floor((test/60)%60), test%60)
0 Karma

gabriel_vasseur
Contributor

You do not want the %60 in:

| eval hrs=floor((test/3600)%60)

Otherwise a duration of 66 hours will become 06 hours...

0 Karma

SammyDavis
Explorer

Thanks very much for your help, this did work to display it in the format I wanted and give me the results I was looking for. As one of my teachers liked to tell me over and over again "working code is good code" so I am sure this one would avoid kicking any puppies, but not sure about not making fun of grandmothers.

0 Karma

erritesh17
Path Finder

Hey ,
I got same problem but instead of 86401 sec I have 580397 sec, as per rich7177 answered I am getting 41:13:17 as result , because when I convert 580397sec to HH:MM:SS I am getting 6 days 17:13:17 as answer. So tell me how to solve this problem.

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

| eval ts="580397" | convert rmunit(ts) as numSecs | eval stringSecs=tostring(numSecs,"duration") | eval stringSecs=case(stringSecs="00:00:00", "0+0:0:0", 0=0, stringSecs) | eval stringSecs = replace(stringSecs,"(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)","\1h \2min \3s") | table ts stringSecs

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Really no need to do all those format conversions. strftime will do most of the work, even if the duration in seconds has not been labeled as such.

| makeresults
| eval ts=580397
| eval hours = floor(ts/3600)
| eval tshoursformatted=hours.":".strftime(ts-3600*hours,"%M:%S")

...or, if you prefer the result in days...

| makeresults
| eval ts=580397
| eval days = floor(ts/86400)
| eval tsdaysformatted=days." days + ".strftime(ts-86400*days,"%H:%M:%S")
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can sort based on time in seconds and then convert it to duration to keep the sorting correct. If you still want to show time HH:MM:SS instead of D+HH:MM:SS, then you can calculate and concatenate each part separately.

grijhwani
Motivator

84600 seconds is actually 23:30. I think you mean 86400.

SammyDavis
Explorer

Correct thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...