Splunk Search

How to force graph to include recent "zero" values?

echojacques
Builder

So I have this basic search for a line graph visualization:

(search goes here) | timechart count

Let's say I've had 10 events/hour up until 7:00am this morning. Between 7:00-10:00am I've had zero events. When I render the graph, it "stops" at 7:00am. How can I force the graph to include the zero events between 7:00-10:00am? The reason this is important is that I'm trying to get the graph to communicate that the events have stopped... but it looks like they are still on-going since it doesn't include recent hours of zero events. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your help!

alt text

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this workaround

your base search | timechart count | appendpipe [|stats count | addinfo | eval _time=info_max_time | table _time] | makecontinuous

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

You could also try

| timechart count fixedrange=T | fillnull

although fixrange is supposed to be the default.

0 Karma

echojacques
Builder

I just tried this and unfortunately, it produces the same result. Instead, is there a way to force a time range (e.g. last 24 hours) in a graph?

In my opinion, this is almost a bug as this should be a simple/basic thing to do...

Or maybe I shouldn't be using a timechart for what I'm trying t do?

Thanks

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this workaround

your base search | timechart count | appendpipe [|stats count | addinfo | eval _time=info_max_time | table _time] | makecontinuous

echojacques
Builder

Thanks, the updated answer works! I really appreciate it, I probably would not have figured this out on my own.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try the updated answer. This ensures that all the missing bins (e.g. last 6 hrs in your search) will have be shown and you'll get more streamlined graph.

0 Karma

echojacques
Builder

I tried this, and while this does get the graph to hit zero, the trend line is still very much compressed -> I've had zero events for this search in the last 6 hours, so while the line goes to zero, there is no continuation/trend of the line for the last 6 hours (it looks like the events just now stopped and went to zero, which is not the case).

Thanks

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

The visualization for timechart has an option for how to treat "missing" values. The default setting is "gap", which means "if you have no events, don't draw a line".

You want the option called "treat as zero".

0 Karma

echojacques
Builder

I've added my timechart in my original post. You'll see that while it successfully draws a line at zero for previous times, the line ends at 7:20am and doesn't drop down to zero for the previous 3 hours (to 10:30am). It's still dangling high at 100 even though the current value for this event is zero, and has been for the last 3 hours.

0 Karma

echojacques
Builder

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've tried that option and while it works for events between let's say 6:00am yesterday and 7:00am today, it doesn't force the graph to draw a line for the most recent X hours. So right now, even with that option set, my graph stops at 7:00am this morning even though it's 10:30am.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...