Splunk Search

How to find differences of a field's values between time ranges?

davespatz
Explorer

Hello,

Long story on why but I need to run a report on some squid logs based on the host name of the URL visited by the client through the squid proxy (field is url_host). I need to see any new url_host entries since a certain time period to see what changed since my last report - essentially, get me a list of new url_host's I didn't see the last time or time before that, etc. My search is below but it doesn't seem to negate the url_host field values of the inner search. The inner search is what I want to negate and anything new, give me stats on the url_host by count.

Tried two different ways - first way below returns items that are still in the inner search:

sourcetype=squid earliest="7/17/2014:00:00:00" latest=now NOT [ search sourcetype=squid earliest="6/18/2014:00:00:00" latest="7/16/2014:23:59:59" | fields url_host ] | fields url_host | stats count by url_host

Second way also appears to give me results that I know are in both searches:

| set diff [search sourcetype=squid earliest="7/17/2014:00:00:00" latest=now | fields url_host] [search sourcetype=squid earliest="6/18/2014:00:00:00" latest="7/16/2014:23:59:59" | fields url_host] | stats count by url_host

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

0 Karma

davespatz
Explorer

Hey thanks for the really quick answer. I learned more about different commands with that but unfortunately it still shows results from the previous time period. I just assumed Splunk could do this easily so how - there's ALWAYS a way to do it with Splunk but this may just be easier for me to knock it out in Excel.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

sourcetype=squid earliest="7/17/2014:00:00:00" latest=now 
| stats count by url_host | eval Period="current"
| append [ search sourcetype=squid earliest="6/18/2014:00:00:00" latest="7/16/2014:23:59:59"  | stats count by url_host | eval Period="past" ]
| stats values(Period) as Periods by url_host | where mvcount(Periods)=1 AND Periods="current"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...