Splunk Search

How to filter out main search results with subsearch?

upranger101
Engager

Hi I am trying to capture all event="DcSyncs" from my index. This index also contains event="DcID". The event "DCSyncs" can occur at anytime (pretty often though), but "DcID" occurs once every 8 hours. I am trying to get all "DcSyncs" and then take the HostName field of those results and see if that HostName field has a result for event="DcID". If it does filter it out of the results. To summarize: I am trying to collect all HostName's that have a "DCSyncs" event, but no "DcID" event. I have this setup to run on an 8 hour interval so I don't think I need the time logic of the search.

I keep trying different variations, but I think I am way off. Any help is appreciated.

index=MyIndex event="DcSyncs"
| join HostName [search NOT index=MyIndex event="DcID"]
| table _time HostName event

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your query is close, but there's no need for a join, just use the subsearch.

index=MyIndex event="DcSyncs" NOT [search index=MyIndex event="DcID" | fields host]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

upranger101
Engager

Thank you richgalloway. I new host had to be referenced in the subsearch somehow and I didn't know that function exist.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your query is close, but there's no need for a join, just use the subsearch.

index=MyIndex event="DcSyncs" NOT [search index=MyIndex event="DcID" | fields host]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...