Splunk Search

How to filter out fields from my search that contain a dash "-" as a value?

lior_g
Explorer

I'm creating a dashboard that displays event "headers" for certain events,
and a drill down search that will display the full event.

The problem is, a lot of the events come with "empty" fields - instead of being null or non existent, they have - as the value.
I would like to remove fields that only contain -, so I will be able to search | table * and receive a table that only contains fields with data.

Any ideas?

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Not sure how efficient this will be for your query, but see this runanywhere sample

| gentimes start=-4  | eval Somesh="-" | table [| gentimes start=-4  | eval Somesh="-" | fieldsummary | search values!="[{\"value\":\"-\",*" | stats values(field) as search  delim="," | nomv search]

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Not sure how efficient this will be for your query, but see this runanywhere sample

| gentimes start=-4  | eval Somesh="-" | table [| gentimes start=-4  | eval Somesh="-" | fieldsummary | search values!="[{\"value\":\"-\",*" | stats values(field) as search  delim="," | nomv search]

lior_g
Explorer

This does the trick, I wasn't aware that you can put a sub query after table.

0 Karma

javiergn
Super Champion

Try appending this before the table:

| query
| search NOT yourfieldname="-"
| table *

If that's not exactly what you are looking for please give us an example and ideally post the query here.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...