Splunk Search

How to field extract one or more times to the same field?

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I am using a CDN and have obtained my DNS logs. Some of the DNS logs have multiple values for the field response ID and response. I am trying to make a field extraction for this but not sure how to write this to match "1 or more times". So in some cases, 1 log can have multiple response_id and response values. Can this be done via the GUI field extractions or does it HAVE TO be done via props/transforms as here and here?

In this case, I want to extract all the response ID's and responses ( 300:response) from the log below. The number of responses can vary (sometimes 1, sometimes 3, etc.). Six responses in the log snippet below.

sample log

394347 - 1566861761 26/08/2019 23:22:41,1.2.3.4,12345,mywebsite1.com,IN,NS,E,4096,D,,300:a8-cdm.com 300:a7-cdm.com 300:a16-cdm.com 300:a22-cdm.com 300:a1-cdm.com 300:a9-cdm.com

desired parsing

response_id   response
300           a8-cdm.com
300           a7-cdm.com
300           a16-cdm.com
300           a22-cdm.com
300           a1-cdm.com
300           a9-cdm.com

my regex (which isn't working)

(.*?,){10}((?<response_code_id>\d+):(?<response_code>[\.a-zA-Z0-9-]+)\s?){1,}
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When extracting at search time, add max_match=0 to your rexcommand. That tells rex to accept unlimited matches.
When extracting at index time, add MV_ADD = true to your transforms.conf stanza.

In either case, the extracted data will be in a multi-value field and you will need to use mvexpand and similar commands to work with it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When extracting at search time, add max_match=0 to your rexcommand. That tells rex to accept unlimited matches.
When extracting at index time, add MV_ADD = true to your transforms.conf stanza.

In either case, the extracted data will be in a multi-value field and you will need to use mvexpand and similar commands to work with it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...