Splunk Search

How to extract values inside of the {}?

napoleon182
Explorer

Hello Splunk Ninjas!

I will require your assistance with designing my regex expression.

I need to filter for the value of Message in this sample log line:

2022-09-23T13:20:25.765+01:00 [29] WARN Core.ErrorResponse - {} - Error message being sent to user with Http Status code: BadRequest:
{"Details":{"field1":value,"field2":"value2"},"Message":"This is the message.","UserMessage":null,"Code":86,"Explanation":null,"Resolution":null,"Category":4}

I will be interested in extracting value of field1, field2 (inside of {Details}, message and code,

Any help, much appreciated!

Thanks again

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is fairly simple, but I suspect you are struggling to extract all fields with a single regex.  Don't worry about that.  Using multiple rex commands is much easier and has little performance penalty.  A complex regex that extracts all fields in one go may be less performant.

| rex "Message\\\":\\\"(?<Message>[^\\\"]+)"
| rex "field1\\\":\\\"(?<field1>[^\\\"]+)"
| rex "field2\\\":\\\"(?<field2>[^\\\"]+)"
| rex "Code\\\":(?<Code>\d+)"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is fairly simple, but I suspect you are struggling to extract all fields with a single regex.  Don't worry about that.  Using multiple rex commands is much easier and has little performance penalty.  A complex regex that extracts all fields in one go may be less performant.

| rex "Message\\\":\\\"(?<Message>[^\\\"]+)"
| rex "field1\\\":\\\"(?<field1>[^\\\"]+)"
| rex "field2\\\":\\\"(?<field2>[^\\\"]+)"
| rex "Code\\\":(?<Code>\d+)"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@napoleon182,

this seems to be a json format, did you tried with spath command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Spath)?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...