Splunk Search

How to extract only the top level domain (TLD) from email addresses?

ICAJschuster
Engager

I am working with an email application. Currently doing a report based on domains using the product. Issue is there are many, and often arbitrary sub-domains. This is what I'm currently using:

rex field=Sender ".[^@]+?@(?<sender_domain>.+)"

The results from that look like:
test.com
sub.test.com
why.so.many.subs.echo.com
a.echo.com

So what is the "right" way to get the last 2 fields on either side of the last DOT in the field?
This is close but it only matches IF there is a subdomain and many are just TLD:

rex field=Sender ".[^@]+?@.*(?<sender_domain>\.\w+\.[a-zA-Z]+$)"

Thanks!

1 Solution

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try:

rex field=Sender "(?P<sender_domain>[A-Za-z0-9]+\.[a-zA-Z]+)$"

All you need is to look at the last part, not the whole email to get what you need, and this will find it easily.

View solution in original post

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try:

rex field=Sender "(?P<sender_domain>[A-Za-z0-9]+\.[a-zA-Z]+)$"

All you need is to look at the last part, not the whole email to get what you need, and this will find it easily.

acharlieh
Influencer

This is indeed what was asked for, however, depending on what you're doing with this, you may want to look a bit deeper:

1) "Top Level domains" for some country codes you may actually want the 3rd level. For example: "amazon.co.uk"
2) You need to include hyphens and other characters as well, otherwise you may miss some domains. Of note internationalized domain names are actually prefixed: xn--

ICAJschuster
Engager

Perfect! Thank you so much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...