Splunk Search

How to extract fields in a file?

dhirendra761
Contributor

I need to extract each filed in "monitoringdata" in file.
belo is sample of data:

{"@timestamp":"2018-07-27T16:06:28.025+05:30","@version":1,"logger_name":"ADNSMONITOR","thread_name":"priority-all-publishrevisiondownloadthread-CSDBL-S1KD-A350-HHJ-28-Jul-2018","level":"INFO","level_value":20000,"HOSTNAME":"ITEM-S66462","startTaskManDate":"1532687732198","endDate":"","start":"","error":"","attempt":"1","jobnorm":"JB1T40R011-DOWNLOAD","duration":"","stop":"","requestId":"01f965d4-d681-4f02-a349-44870765ed10","tasknorm":"","monitoringData":"{\"deliverableType\":null,\"docType\":null,\"acProgram\":null,\"docId\":null,\"revisionDate\":null,\"format\":null,\"entity\":null,\"customersRightStatus\":null,\"customersRightEventDate\":null,\"majorEvent\":null,\"emergency\":null,\"attachmentType\":null,\"attachmentIssueDate\":null,\"acknowledgment\":null,\"acknowledgmentDate\":null,\"productionOrder\":null,\"domain\":null,\"productKey\":\"#[A350]#HHJ#CSDBL##[PN1234]##\",\"itemId\":\"260_S1KD\",\"onlineAvailabilityData\":{\"type\":\"DownloadState\",\"status\":\"InProgress\",\"fromDate\":null,\"toDate\":null},\"acksStatus\":null}","functionalKey":"CSDBL-S1KD-A350-HHJ-28-Jul-2018","startPublicationDate":"1532687732198","jobSourceId":"IM01-SRDD","status":"IN_PROGRESS","appName":"ADNS-Taskman","appEnv":"dev","appProduct":"1T40"}

I have tried so many times. but always get monitoringdata as group of data fields.
link text
I need a new field like deliverableType, docType, acProgram and so on.

I am trying lot, but not succeed. Any help will be appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Super Champion

@dhirendra761, can you try below-

...| rex max_match=0 field=monitoringdata "(?<key>\w+)\":\"?(?<value>\"?[^,\"]+)"|table key, value|eval b=mvzip(key,value)|mvexpand b| makemv b delim=","|eval key=mvindex(b, 0)| eval value=mvindex(b, 1)|table key value| transpose 0 header_field=key
 | fields - column

try this run anywhere search query-

|makeresults|eval monitoringdata="{\"deliverableType\":null,\"docType\":null,\"acProgram\":null,\"docId\":null,\"revisionDate\":null,\"format\":null,\"entity\":null,\"customersRightStatus\":null,\"customersRightEventDate\":null,\"majorEvent\":null,\"emergency\":null,\"attachmentType\":null,\"attachmentIssueDate\":null,\"acknowledgment\":null,\"acknowledgmentDate\":null,\"productionOrder\":null,\"domain\":null,\"productKey\":\"#[A350]#HHJ#CSDBL##[PN1234]##\",\"itemId\":\"260_S1KD\",\"onlineAvailabilityData\":{\"type\":\"DownloadState\",\"status\":\"InProgress\",\"fromDate\":null,\"toDate\":null},\"acksStatus\":null}"| rex max_match=0 field=monitoringdata "(?<key>\w+)\":\"?(?<value>\"?[^,\"]+)"|table key, value|eval b=mvzip(key,value)|mvexpand b| makemv b delim=","|eval key=mvindex(b, 0)| eval value=mvindex(b, 1)|table key value| transpose 0 header_field=key
 | fields - column

View solution in original post

Super Champion

@dhirendra761, can you try below-

...| rex max_match=0 field=monitoringdata "(?<key>\w+)\":\"?(?<value>\"?[^,\"]+)"|table key, value|eval b=mvzip(key,value)|mvexpand b| makemv b delim=","|eval key=mvindex(b, 0)| eval value=mvindex(b, 1)|table key value| transpose 0 header_field=key
 | fields - column

try this run anywhere search query-

|makeresults|eval monitoringdata="{\"deliverableType\":null,\"docType\":null,\"acProgram\":null,\"docId\":null,\"revisionDate\":null,\"format\":null,\"entity\":null,\"customersRightStatus\":null,\"customersRightEventDate\":null,\"majorEvent\":null,\"emergency\":null,\"attachmentType\":null,\"attachmentIssueDate\":null,\"acknowledgment\":null,\"acknowledgmentDate\":null,\"productionOrder\":null,\"domain\":null,\"productKey\":\"#[A350]#HHJ#CSDBL##[PN1234]##\",\"itemId\":\"260_S1KD\",\"onlineAvailabilityData\":{\"type\":\"DownloadState\",\"status\":\"InProgress\",\"fromDate\":null,\"toDate\":null},\"acksStatus\":null}"| rex max_match=0 field=monitoringdata "(?<key>\w+)\":\"?(?<value>\"?[^,\"]+)"|table key, value|eval b=mvzip(key,value)|mvexpand b| makemv b delim=","|eval key=mvindex(b, 0)| eval value=mvindex(b, 1)|table key value| transpose 0 header_field=key
 | fields - column

dhirendra761
Contributor

Hi Thanks for the suggestion.
answer1 I got result (0) . Link: https://imgur.com/a/4p3ID6v
answer2: It gives result 1 for specifc filed. What if there are many monitoringdata in one single event.

I have 16 monitoringdata in my file.

Please suggest as well.

Thanks. 🙂

0 Karma

Super Champion

change fieldname as monitoringData and try again as field names are case sensitive

...| rex max_match=0 field=monitoringData "(?<key>\w+)\":\"?(?<value>\"?[^,\"]+)"|table key, value|eval b=mvzip(key,value)|mvexpand b| makemv b delim=","|eval key=mvindex(b, 0)| eval value=mvindex(b, 1)|table key value| transpose 0 header_field=key
  | fields - column
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Just a little addition to this: this method will make your Splunk explode once you put a lot of events through the mvexpand.
Here is a link https://answers.splunk.com/answers/319646/how-to-write-the-regex-to-extract-data-inside-squa.html to an answer doing the same using props.conf and transforms.conf

cheers, MuS

dhirendra761
Contributor

Hi @MuS , Hi @493669,

Thanks for the answer, just one more quick if i need to export the report for monitorData based on itemId in json then what type of search i have to write.

Like i need whole monitorData for itemId (key="itemId ") whose value is 260_S1KD

0 Karma

Super Champion

if you made changes in props.conf and transforms.conf as suggested by @MuS then fields get extracted at search time then simply apply filter on itemId as shown below and export in JSON format-

sourcetype="logadns"|where itemId="260_S1KD"|table monitoringData
0 Karma

dhirendra761
Contributor

Hi @493669 can i connect with you regarding some question on splunk.

Thanks.

0 Karma

Super Champion

you can connect me on mandalerajesh@yahoo.in

0 Karma

dhirendra761
Contributor

@493669 Thank you very much 🙂

0 Karma

dhirendra761
Contributor

Thank you very much @493669 and @MuS for your support.
:)

0 Karma

dhirendra761
Contributor

@493669 please post you comment in answer section so that I can mark as accepted

0 Karma

dhirendra761
Contributor

Hi Rajesh @493669
Do you have any idea on my another question:
Please have a look:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/674429/not-monitored-similer-name-local-files-on-windows.html

Thanks

0 Karma

dhirendra761
Contributor

Hi @493669

In MonitorData , there are 25 keys(itemId, docType,.....)

and each key contains no of value(eg. itemId contains 100 different values) ....... can i extract each value as seprate event.
like itemId, doctype.

Please suggest as well. Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

dhirendra761
Contributor
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...