Splunk Search

How to extract a certain string of text from an interesting field and count the number of occurrences?

jhilton90
Path Finder

We have MFA logs being sent to one of our indexes and the field I'm looking at is as follows:

message: MFA challenge issued for account 1234556. Email is example@example.com

I want to be able to count the number of times "MFA challenge issued" occurs in the logs. I'm trying to use the rex command but it's just so confusing at the moment

Any help would be great!

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| regex _raw="MFA challenge issued"
| stats count

View solution in original post

jhilton90
Path Finder

Say I wanted to rename MFA challenge issued to something like "MFA issued". What that just be something like:

|regex _raw="MFA challenge issued" rename AS "MFA Issued"
|stats count
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No. all regex is doing is filtering the events with match the condition, so if your condition changes to "MFA Issued" you would do this

| regex _raw="MFA Issued"
| stats count
0 Karma

jhilton90
Path Finder

It's okay, I realized there's not point to it. Thanks for your help

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| regex _raw="MFA challenge issued"
| stats count
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...