Splunk Search

How to extract JSON from event data with rex?

robertlabrie
Path Finder

I get Amazon SES bounce notifications via email. I'm using the IMAP plugin to read that email. Works fine. The email includes a JSON payload in the body of the email. I'm extracting it thusly:

index=mail "notificationType\":\"Bounce\",\"bounce" |  rex "\{(?<json_data>.*)" | eval json_data="{".json_data | spath input=json_data

It works fine, but my Regex-foo is poor and I don't know how to keep the leading brace, which is why I'm re-attaching it with an eval later. It works, but it's ugly and embarrassing. If anyone with Regex skills could take a look, it would help a lot.

Thanks,
Rob

Tags (3)
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

index=mail "notificationType\":\"Bounce\",\"bounce" |  rex "(?<json_data>\{.*)" | spath input=json_data

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

index=mail "notificationType\":\"Bounce\",\"bounce" |  rex "(?<json_data>\{.*)" | spath input=json_data
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...