Splunk Search

How to expand macros in a Splunk search?

pavanae
Builder

I have a search as follows:

index="x" search_name="`Y`" (status=Z) | `A` |`B`

where A and B are macros

Now how can I see the complete search by expanding all the Y, A, and B?

Also, if the macros (A and B) contain some internal macros and also some internal tags, how can I expand them all and see the complete search?

0 Karma
1 Solution

rjthibod
Champion

For versions Splunk 6.0 - 6.5, you need to open the job inspector for that search either in the Search app or via the job inspector / activity inspector. The job inspector will reveal how it interprets and expands the macros in order to execute the search.

Starting with Splunk 6.6, follow @hrottenberg_splunk instructions for the new macro expansion feature.

View solution in original post

hrottenberg_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

New in 6.6, there is now a keystroke to expand macros in the search window! Click inside your search and press cmd-shift-E (on Mac) and ctrl-shift-E on Windows, and you'll see a window like this:

alt text

(Edit: corrected Windows hotkey, thanks for the comment below!)

yahuja_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just an update. It is control + shift + E on windows.

Happy Splunking!

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Navigate to Settings > Advanced Search > Search macros
There you can look for the definition of your macros.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Knowledge/Definesearchmacros

anewell
Path Finder

I downvoted this post because i'm really tired of karma-farming responses that are simply "rtfm" links. it degrades the value of all 'answers' activity if the only help anyone ever gets is a link back to documentation that seeker has already read. we've read the docs, and we're here for further clarification or perspective.

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I downvoted this post because vise versa is true as well. many times users may not know the documentation page link.
on my answer, i have clearly replied the correct process and then for more clarity i have given the docs link. i don't see anything wrong with my answer.

rjthibod
Champion

For versions Splunk 6.0 - 6.5, you need to open the job inspector for that search either in the Search app or via the job inspector / activity inspector. The job inspector will reveal how it interprets and expands the macros in order to execute the search.

Starting with Splunk 6.6, follow @hrottenberg_splunk instructions for the new macro expansion feature.

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I downvoted this post because while it was very true, it's not true anymore though. see @hrottenberg comment below.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...