Splunk Search

How to escape a parentheses in sed rex command ?

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hello dearest Splunkers,

I am trying to convert "(A=hi) OR (B=bye)" to "(A=hi) NOT (B=bye)" using sed. So far I have the following command:

...| rex mode=sed field=search "s/\sOR\s\(/\sNOT\s\(/g"

This gives me the following error, since apparently the backslash isnt enough to escape the parentheses:

Error in 'rex' command: Regex: missing closing parenthesis

Can anyone help me out understanding how I can improve the regex or what I should use as an escape character instead of the backslash ?

Thank you.

Regards,
David

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try

...| rex field=search mode=sed "s/ OR / NOT /g"

You don't need to use any special space characters unless you really need to (i.e. they may be tabs or something). It doesn't feel like you do so you can simplify.

And, if you DID need to include the parenthesis, you only need to escape them in the first half of the sed command (the match part).

... | rex field=orig_field mode=sed "s/\) OR \(/) NOT (/g"

I know it looks funny but it does work. For clarity, the first half (matching part) is \) OR \(. The second part, the substitute part, is ) NOT (.

Here's the run-anywhere examples.

With spaces:

| makeresults | eval orig_field="(A=hi) OR (B=bye)" 
| rex field=orig_field mode=sed "s/ OR / NOT /g"

With escaped parenthesis:

| rex field=orig_field mode=sed "s/\) OR \(/) NOT (/g"

Happy Splunking!
-Rich

View solution in original post

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try

...| rex field=search mode=sed "s/ OR / NOT /g"

You don't need to use any special space characters unless you really need to (i.e. they may be tabs or something). It doesn't feel like you do so you can simplify.

And, if you DID need to include the parenthesis, you only need to escape them in the first half of the sed command (the match part).

... | rex field=orig_field mode=sed "s/\) OR \(/) NOT (/g"

I know it looks funny but it does work. For clarity, the first half (matching part) is \) OR \(. The second part, the substitute part, is ) NOT (.

Here's the run-anywhere examples.

With spaces:

| rex field=orig_field mode=sed "s/ OR / NOT /g"

With escaped parenthesis:

| rex field=orig_field mode=sed "s/\) OR \(/) NOT (/g"

Happy Splunking!
-Rich

DavidHourani
Super Champion

yes this is the answer haha.. So regexes are only used in the first part of the sed, not both parts ! Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...