Splunk Search

How to edit my search to view all occurrences of an event grouped by a field?

emamedov
Explorer

Every time a user logs in, there is a log statement generated. I am currently running a search for a specific set of users:

(index=* OR index=_*) Message:LoginActivity:loggedIn email="email1@gmail.com" OR email="email2@gmail.com" OR email="email3@gmail.com"

How would I get a table that shows all of the e-mails, how many times they logged in, and the timestamps of each login? I would envision the table looking something like:
alt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

base search | stats count as "Number of Logins" values(_time) as Timestamps by Email

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Insert the list of email to monitor in a lookup and try something like this

| inputlookup email_lookup.csv | eval count=0 | append [ search yoursearch | stats values(_time) AS _time count by email ] | stats values(_time) AS _time sum(count) AS Total by email

In this way you have for each email the sum of events and the list of timestamps, and 0 for emails without events.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

base search | stats count as "Number of Logins" values(_time) as Timestamps by Email

emamedov
Explorer

That works to get the e-mails that are in the query. There are multiple OR statements (I am trying to identify if a specific set of users have logged in). Is there any way to include the emails in the conditional statement, and if there are no events, present a 0. The purpose of this would be to see who hasn't logged in.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Where do you get the specific set of users? Is that in a .csv file somewhere? If it is, you can create a lookup file of all emails and try something like this (lookup file must have a field called email and data should be identical with index data)

| inputlookup lookupfilewithemailsids.csv | where NOT [ search (index= OR index=_) Message:LoginActivity:loggedIn email=* | table email ]  | table email | eval count=0
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...