Splunk Search

How to edit my search to find Fortinet Internet Browsing Time by User per Day?

wellmore
Explorer

We have Fortinet FSSO in place and we have syslogs coming into Splunk. I need a way to report how much time users are spending on the Internet.

The rule below which is not providing accurate results for us. I narrowed my search window down to one day and for one user the result was: 13:57:59 and another user 05:27:38. Both users work an 8 hour shift. Also, when I run this against other users, most of them come back with approx. a full 7-8 hours of browsing time, which would be their entire shift. This was tested on users who are not spending nearly that much time actively browsing the Internet.

<usernamehere> | transaction user maxpause=5m | stats sum(duration) as browsing_time by user | sort -browsing_time | head 10 | fieldformat browsing_time = tostring(browsing_time,"duration")

Can someone help me either craft the proper rule. I understand it may not be 100% accurate due to Fortinet FSSO agent timeout/idle settings, but I need approximates.

Thank you in advance,
Lee

0 Karma

wellmore
Explorer

@DalJeanis,
I have done this sort of testing with select users already. It appears that if the Fortinet FSSO agent doesn't log them out after idle limit, then they're counted as continued browse time. However, I could be wrong... I am not expecting exact cumulative browse time duration, but an approx. would be nice instead of the numbers that are way off.

alt text

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's your 480 in dead interval timeout. If Fortinet cannot contact the workstation for that long, it will end the session. (Not necessarily forcing an actual logout/logon at that point, but just sort of "forgetting" about it. Lots of background info in this thread... https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=119045)

0 Karma

wellmore
Explorer

@DAlJeanis,
Thanks for the reply, yes there is alot of moving parts with this issue. I didn't think my FSSO agent was miss-configured, but I want to rule that out.

I should be able to get realistic results in the above Splunk rule against my Fortinet syslogs. The data doesn't even make sense and essentially states the user is browsing "actively" all day...

Anyone else have ideas on how I can

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk can only report on the events that it is sent. Fortinet is not necessarily misconfigured, it is just configured in a way that is not raising the information that you would like to report on.

It may be that the feasible way to get what you want is to use the Fortinet information to identify who, and use other DNS or proxy data to identify when and how long.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The basic issue with such a search is that nowadays browsers do things constantly all by themselves. For instance, any news page will generally be rotating stories and updating headline banners, and so on, whether the browser is being used, or is sitting minimized on the desktop.

I was stunned the other day when I found that my own browsing in a single day of splunk research had accessed (or been denied) literally thousands of files on the Internet, and hundreds of the accesses occurred during the time that I was at lunch.

You are going to have to differentiate somehow between different types of files, and eliminate all the various autoplay media and tracking tags and such that complicate the story.

My suggestion is to take some volunteer users, have them browse the internet for 15-20 minutes, then have them minimize the browser (or not) and go to lunch for the next hour. Review the kinds of files that are hit during the idle time, and focus on the kinds that indicate active participation. It may be that the number of files retrieved per second is a decent proxy for active participation. More likely you are going to have to filter both by file type and by domain category to get an approximate weighting.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...