Splunk Search

How to edit my search to do an eval match and if so, to plot a timechart?

howardroark
Explorer

I am trying to plot a timechart with a the following

index="ABC"  cs_uri_stem = "XYZ"
| timechart eval( if(match(cs_uri_query,"A"),avg(time_taken))) as AvgTime by cs_uri_stem

Basically, I am trying to match a string in a sentence and based on that if its found then take the average time_taken else do nothing.

How can I achieve this?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@howardroark, if you do nothing in the else block then you are complicating your use case. You can just filter the required events i.e. cs_uri_query="A" in your base search itself (which will also return results faster). Further you do not need by cs_uri_stem since you are anyways filtering to only one record in base search i.e. "XYZ"

index="ABC" cs_uri_stem="XYZ" cs_uri_query="A"
| timechart avg(time_taken) as AvgTime 

howardroark
Explorer

@niketn Sure, though its not the complete cs_uri_query that i am interested in. I am interested in a keyword present in the query string. Can I filter out based on that. Say "content" keyword in "type=content&source=%size%" cs_uri_query?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@howardroark, You can do wildcard search in the base query which should still be faster than an eval later:

index="ABC" cs_uri_stem="XYZ" cs_uri_query="*content*"
 | timechart avg(time_taken) as AvgTime 

niketn
Legend

Also you can perform match during stats/timechart command using eval

index="ABC" cs_uri_stem="XYZ" cs_uri_query="*content*"
  | timechart avg(eval(match(cs_uri_query,"content"))) as AvgTime 

However, avg is depended on number of buckets of time where cs_uri_query matched as expected. So you might have to get count instead of avg and compute avg based on number of buckets instead.

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...