Splunk Search

How to edit my regular expression to extract the last IP from my sample string using rex?

bakalon
Explorer

Hey Guys,

I have the following output:

Server: abc-ij-qwerty88.asdf.xyz.com Address: 10.10.254.97 DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. Name: google.com Address: 172.217.20.46

I'd like to extract the Last IP from the string.

I tried the following search with rex, but it returns a blank result:

.... | rex field=_raw "(?\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}$)" | table  ip_address

Where did I go wrong?

Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

There's probably a LF at the end. Try this

... | rex "(?<ip>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})[\n\t\s]$" | ...

View solution in original post

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

just move the "$" outside the rex match.

1. Rex match should be inside parentheses "(.....)",
  2. and to position the rex match, we can use this anchor "$", (which means at the end of line, ...opposite of "^" - beginning of the line)
 .... | rex field=_raw "(?\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})$" | table  ip_address
0 Karma

bakalon
Explorer

Thanks for your help! This didn't work, but the inclusion of [\n\t\s] at the end (1st answer) worked for me. Thanks again for your help.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

There's probably a LF at the end. Try this

... | rex "(?<ip>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})[\n\t\s]$" | ...

bakalon
Explorer

Thank you! This worked for me. What did you mean by an "LF" at the end?

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Line feed. or line break

0 Karma

gokadroid
Motivator

you did not put the name of the tag ?<ip_address> which you are tabl(ing)

.... | rex field=_raw "(?<ip_address>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})$" | table  ip_address
0 Karma

bakalon
Explorer

Sorry, yeah I did use the tag but somehow forgot it when making this post. I tried your query but it produced the same blank results. The first answer solved my issue. Thanks!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You were almost there. Use like this

.... | rex field=_raw "(?<ip_address>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})$" | table  ip_address
0 Karma

bakalon
Explorer

I had tried this earlier, but it didn't work for me. Thanks for taking the time to help me!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...