Splunk Search

How to dynamically add results / correlate in a search with a sub-search

bahndg
Explorer

I want to dynamically add fields to my result set depending on a search I did.

How do I can add fields/new columns based on a search from a result of the main-search ?

index=test
| table Computer
| appendcols [ search (index=another_test) Computer=$ParentSearch$.Computer) | head 1 | table Name ]
| table Computer, Name

dynamically. I cant work with lookups for each result because I want to generate the end result each time.
Cant do that manually. I need to be to process this automatically.

Another example:

Lets say I am building a resultset with an query.
When results show up, how can I enrich my resultset with values from another index?

What I am looking is at writing SPLs which run once and during this one-shot they should correlate multiply events from multiply indexes. So result should be further processed and enriched by information from other indexes/columns.

What is the best way to do that with Splunk in one SPL ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

sonny_monti
Path Finder

You are looking for the join command, i.e:

index=test
| table Computer
| join Computer [ search (index=another_test) | head 1 | table Name Computer]

This correlates the Computer field both on index test and another_test and join the subsearch fields (except for the matching one).

Dont forget to upvote 🙂

View solution in original post

sonny_monti
Path Finder

You are looking for the join command, i.e:

index=test
| table Computer
| join Computer [ search (index=another_test) | head 1 | table Name Computer]

This correlates the Computer field both on index test and another_test and join the subsearch fields (except for the matching one).

Dont forget to upvote 🙂

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

I do not understand much what I want to do

For example, what about this search statement?

(index=test OR index=another_test)
|stats latest(Name) as Name by Computer
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...