Splunk Search

How to do an outer join on two tables with two fields?

apiprek2
Engager

Hi,
I'm wondering if it's possible to do an outer/left join two tables on two fields. I have two indexes with the following data:

Index1:
col1 col2
123 abc
456 def

Index2:
col1 col2 col3
123 abc xyz

Desired results:
col1 col2 col3
123 abc xyz
456 def

Here's my search:

index=index1
|join type=outer col1, col2
[search index=index2
|fields col1, col2, col3]
|table col1, col2, col3

The results I get are inconsistent. It seems almost as if Splunk is going the outer join on the two columns independently, so I get more results than I need. If I remove the "type=outer", making it an inner join, I get the below results, so I know the join works for the inner:
col1 col2 col3
123 abc xyz

Thanks,
AP

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

From the fact that you're talking about outer joins, you are coming from an SQL background, so READ THIS FIRST:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/561130/how-to-join-two-tables-where-the-key-is-named-diff.html

The general answer is called "splunk soup" or "splunk stew". You throw all the records and fields you want together in the pot and then stir until they come apart the way you want.

Here's generic pseudocode for that method...

((filters identifying events of type A) OR (filters identifying events of type B)) 
 | fields ... the list of every field that you need from either type A or B... 
 | eval joinfield = case(expression to detect type A, functions(to(transform(events, of, type, A))), 
                         expression to detect type B, functions(to(transform(events, of, type, A)))) 
 | stats values(field1) as field1 values(... as fieldN by joinfield

Then you can also look at this one. If you still have any questions, then please feel free to ask via a comment here.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/816615/how-to-search-for-a-value-in-multiple-fields.html

adonio
Ultra Champion

did you try | append or | appendcols commands?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...