Splunk Search

How to display multiple _time span in single report?

Steve_A200
Path Finder

Hi,

I am struggling with an SPL.  I am trying to create a report which lists the Online status of specific Site/location pending if there is a message received from it.

I need the Online (or Offline) status to be group in a daily format which I have achieved so far with the below SPL.  However, the challenge for me is, when a Site/location goes "Offline", I would like to know the exact hour:min that Last communication was logged.  Currently, the Last_Communication Column is showing me the Date but time is 00:00:00 which I know is not true, I need the exact hour/min the last event got logged for that specific day if it was "Online".

Current SPL:

| from datamodel:"mydatamodel"
| bin _time span=1d
| search  field1="comm_message" 
| eval Online_Status=if(like(Location_field,"xyz"),1,0)
| stats sum(Online_Status) AS Message_Counts by _time
| eval Online_Status=if(Message_Counts=0,"OFFLINE", "ONLINE")
| eval Last_Communication=if(Online_Status="ONLINE",(_time), "OFFLINE")
| convert ctime(Last_Communication)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

Steve_A200
Path Finder

Thank you richgalloway.  I did get a display of the time in hours, however, it was showing me the time for events in general, not specific to that location "xyz".

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you only want to see results for a certain location then the query will need to filter out other locations.

| eval time=_time
| bin _time span=1d
| where like(Location_field,"xyz")
| stats count AS Message_Counts, min(time) as time by _time
| eval Last_Communication=if(Online_Status="ONLINE",(time), "OFFLINE")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Steve_A200
Path Finder

Thanks @richgalloway .

With the latest suggests SPL, I modified the min to latest, so it looks like latest(time), and it is displaying the time correctly/accurately.

However, I only see ONLINE records, and there OFFLINE rows are no longer visible.  What would like to see is within the specified date range selection, which calendar days are offline status (i.e. no events recorded) and which says were there event records (will be tagged as Online).

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The bin command "rounds off" timestamps so that is why you see "00:00:00" for the time.  The solution is use two time fields - one for grouping that you'll pass to bin and the other for reporting the exact time of an event.

| eval time=_time
| bin _time span=1d
| eval Online_Status=if(like(Location_field,"xyz"),1,0)
| stats sum(Online_Status) AS Message_Counts, min(time) as time by _time
| eval Last_Communication=if(Online_Status="ONLINE",(time), "OFFLINE")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...