Splunk Search

How to display multiple data points when hovering on one data point on timechart line graph?

bgeshk
Engager

The issue I run into is if, at a given time, the # of apples, oranges and pears are all let's say 8, then it appears as one single point on the graph. Also, when you hover over the data point, you only see 1 of the data values, instead of all 3. I want to hover over a given data point at a given time and display all values that were logged at that time.

Search used for this theoretical example:

my_search | timechart sum(apples) as apples sum(oranges) as oranges sum(pears) as pears

Here is a screenshot:

alt text

0 Karma

logloganathan
Motivator

Hi bgeshK,

Could you please use column chart

Splunk visualization or dashboard provide two dimensional views with x axis and y axis. here time is in x axis and others values in y-axis.

actually your query is working when i modified and tried as follows

here i used only column chart but it working fine

| makeresults | eval apples=8 | append [ | makeresults | eval oranges=8 ] | append [ | makeresults | eval pears=8 ] | timechart sum(apples) as apples sum(oranges) as oranges sum(pears) as pears

you will see the result at the end of the chart with three colored line

0 Karma

bgeshk
Engager

The problem with column chart is that in my real example, there will be 5 numbers at a time and it's not easy to tell if there's a discrepancy in the 5 numbers or not by just looking at the vertical bars because if the number is really high, it could look the same, but could be 1 or 2 values off

0 Karma

logloganathan
Motivator

There are only two ways
1) There is a option called trellis, please click that then "tick the 'use trellis layout' " it will show the result separately

OR

2) In Column chart: you can click the format option and click show data values "ON" after that you can see the values in the chart itself

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...