Splunk Search

How to disable all searches for a user?

GeorgeStarkey
Path Finder

We have a user that is no longer here, however all saved searches are still trying to run.

This causes a lot of "Failed to get LDAP" errors, and I assume is part of a performance issue I am seeing.

Since, there are not other members of this users team complaining that these searches are not firing, I want to just disable them, but not completely remove yet.

Can this be done in bulk?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

If you are the admin, you can go to Settings -> Searches, reports, and alerts and then choose the user from the Owner drop-down. Click "Disable" for each of the searches. That should do it.

View solution in original post

GeorgeStarkey
Path Finder

A good feature would be to be able to enable/disable everything owned by a user.

lguinn2
Legend

@GeorgeStarkey - agreed! And you can make a formal enhancement request here:

http://www.splunk.com/index.php/submit_issue

Enter it just like a support ticket, but choose the "enhancement" option.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

If you are the admin, you can go to Settings -> Searches, reports, and alerts and then choose the user from the Owner drop-down. Click "Disable" for each of the searches. That should do it.

GeorgeStarkey
Path Finder

Yes. But my question is how to do this in bulk. This user has many searches. And this will not be a once only problem.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

There is no way to do this in bulk from the Splunk UI.

It is not trivial to write a script for this, as you need to examine savedsearches.conf and the corresponding local.meta files over all the apps as well as the user's private directories.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...