Splunk Search

How to derive logged application's name?

bsayatovic
Path Finder

I have several enterprise applications which are split up into multiple services and tiers, all of which are being Splunked. Each component logs to a different filename and so has a unique source per component. Further complicating things, some of the components' log files will sometimes be prefixed with a GUID (due to a non-thread-blocking concept Microsoft EntLib Logging where threads competing for the same log file will output to a one-off sibling file instead). So we end up with f57f623d-5c2b-4cff-b72b-68ee4e5b0dcaApp.Facade.log, App.Facade.log and UI.Service.log.

But I know which filenames correspond to which enterprise application. For example, *Special.Facade.log and *Another.UI.Service.log both belong to an application known as "foo", while "SomethingElse.Facade.log" and "Bar-log4net.log" belong to "bar". I'd like to roll that up into a derived field so I could search simply with "app=foo" to limit my search to only those sources which are a part of "foo".

What is my best strategy for doing this?

I've looked at tags, but tags wouldn't handle the wildcard necessary for the GUID-prefixed files. I've tried lookup table with "match_type=WILDCARD(source)", but my field never shows up. I'm willing to keep hammering at these strategies if they're the best ones, but as a Splunk novice, I'm hoping someone out there has an even more ingenious strategy.

My backup plan is to use a saved search with all of the relevant wildcarded sources OR'ed together.

0 Karma

bsayatovic
Path Finder

I think I've learned two things (and if anyone could confirm, I'd appreciate it):

1. Lookup with match_type=WILDCARD(xxx) doesn't honor beginning wildcards.
  2. Lookup is case-sensitive

Armed with those assumptions, I've taking a two step approach:

[1] Extract the filename from the source, being sure to exclude the possible GUID:

#props.conf
EXTRACT-SourceFilename = .*\\([0-9a-f]{8}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{12})?(?<sourcefilename>.*)$ in source

[2] Lookup the source filname to an app name with exact case:

#props.conf
    LOOKUP-app = lookup_app_by_source_wildcard source as sourcefilename OUTPUTNEW app

#my.csv
    source,app
    Special.Facade.log,foo
    Another.UI.Service.log,foo
    SomethingElse.Facade.log,bar
    Bar-log4net.log,bar

This appears to be working, except I would've thought my extracted field name ("SourceFilename") and the field referenced in the lookup ("sourcefilename") would have to match case. I fear it's not using my extracted field name, but a field name I derived in search using "rex".

Also, my regex doesn't seem to be matching some filenames.

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Extract the GUID with a field extraction based on the source.
Then use this field with a lookup that has the correspondance GUID / Application.

Try the extraction with regexes with something like
<mysearch>| rex field=source "\\(?<_GUID_>[azAZ09-])\." | table source _GUID_

0 Karma

bsayatovic
Path Finder

I've just learned (the hard way) that lookups are case sensitive. That has given me hope.

0 Karma

bsayatovic
Path Finder

The GUIDs aren't anything identifiable. They're generated on the fly if one thread is writing to a log and another thread wants to also. Instead of thread #2 blocking, it just writes to a sibling file prefixed with a GUID. I wasn't clear about that in my original question, but I've tried to clarify now.

Still, you've given me two things:
1. Confidence that a lookup table is a good strategy
2. A different way to try and diagnose my problem using rex and table inline.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...